One Soldier’s Story: How Christian Smurthwaite Found a Place to Belong at Otterbein

At Otterbein University, we recognize the enormous contributions and sacrifices that military personnel and their families make to society. As a veteran who's ready to transition from soldier to student, you'll discover that Otterbein's dedicated staff is here to make sure you reach your next goal.

Read More

Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program

Otterbein is proud to be a participant in the national Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program to help U.S. military veterans attend college and earn a degree. Yellow Ribbon eligible veterans, and their spouses and children, who apply and are accepted to Otterbein are able to attend tuition free. 

The Yellow Ribbon Program expands the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008, which pays up to the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition for eligible veterans, by working with participating institutions to cover tuition costs higher than the state school fees.

The Office of Veteran’s Affairs will pay a portion of a veteran's tuition and Otterbein will provide a grant to pay the remaining amount, allowing eligible veterans to attend tuition free. In addition, eligible dependents will receive a monthly housing allowance and an annual books and supplies stipend.

Service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program may also transfer unused education benefits to their spouses or children.

Attend Otterbein Under the Yellow Ribbon Program

  1. Apply for the program on the GI Bill website. Successful applicants will receive a certificate of coverage.
  2. Apply to Otterbein University. If accepted, enroll in the university and forward your certificate of coverage to:

    Otterbein University
    Office of the Registrar
    1 South Grove Street
    Westerville, OH 43081
    attn: Hilary Seif

Questions about Otterbein and the Yellow Ribbon Program?

For questions about your eligibility for the Yellow Ribbon program or other veterans benefits, see the GI Bill website or call the Veterans Administration at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor.  For questions about Otterbein's involvement in the program contact us via phone at 614.823.1500.