facebook twitter flickr you tube pinterest

Professional Development for Teachers (Summer)

Summer at Otterbein 2017

Transform your teaching this summer at Otterbein!

We know your summer months are precious time and we want to make every moment count! Otterbein University is the perfect time and place to develop your teaching practice. Our education classes are innovative, interactive, and taught by experts in their field.

New! Gifted Education Professional Development Institute

  • Are you a regular classroom teacher working with gifted students?
  • Looking for strategies to support their growth?

This institute offers the initial 30 hours of professional development in gifted education.  It is aligned with the Ohio Association for Gifted Children (OAGC) position statement.

Learn More about the Gifted Education Professional Development Institute

Intervention Specialist

Multiple, flexible schedules with blended course designs! Take a course in Assistive Technology, IEP Design, and Orton-Gillingham Training:

  • Start your IS license in our one-year licensure program
  • Earn a Master of Arts in Education in Intervention Specialist
  • Begin your teaching career in a Master of Arts in Teaching program in Intervention Specialist  - finish the program with a master's degree and initial license!
Read course descriptions and look up course dates/times:
  • EDUC 6310 MAE:  Profiles of Learners (3 credit hours)
  • EDUC 6320  MAE: Specialized Instructional Planning (3 credit hours)
  • EDUC 6340/41 MAE: Methods of Specialized Instruction for Learners w/ Mild to Moderate Disabilities (Moderate to Intensive)
  • EDUC 6360/61 MAE:  Assessment & Progress Monitoring in IS : Mild to Moderate (Moderate to Intensive)
  • EDUC 6470 MAE Clinical: Graduate Practicum in IS
  • EDUC 6780 Assistive Technology (2 credit hours)
  • EDUC 6790 Exploring Orton Gillingham (3 credit hours)
  • EDUC 5310 MAT:  Profiles of Learners (3 credit hours)
  • EDUC 5340/41 MAT: Methods of Specialized Instruction for Leaners w/ Mild to Moderate Disabilities ( Moderate to Intensive) (3 credit hours)
  • EDUC 6780 Assistive Technology  (2 credit hours)
Dr. Carol Young

Dr. Carol Young is the instructor for EDUC 6310 and EDUC 5310 Profiles of Learners.  Dr. Young has served as a speech-language pathologist, special educator teacher and supervisor, and school administrator.  Her areas of research include child language, autism, and language disabilities, and least restrictive decision making.

Intervention Specialist Open House March 15

Come to our Open House March 15th!  Current students, faculty, and graduate education specialists will be available to answer your questions.

Register Now!  Wednesday, March 15th, from 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. in Roush Hall 2nd floor Graduate School Lounge.  Classes for the IS program begin May 9th! Contact gmiller@otterbein.edu to RSVP or with questions. 

- start an IS license in our one-year licensure program.  Use the classes for the licensure program towards a master's degree in Intervention.  Our classes are blended, with most face-to face meetings on Wednesday evenings.

New to Education? - Students in Otterbein's Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) can get their initial Intervention Specialist license (K-12) and master's degree at the same time. 

Register Now!  The First Summer Session begins May 8 

Summer at Otterbein offers multiple sessions for flexibility.  Questions?  please contact one of our graduate education specialists for information.

Dr. Bethany Vosburg- Bluem and AYA student Aliou SallLicensed teachers contact Amy Featherstone at afeatherstone@otterbein.edu

Initial licensure students
contact Gaby Miller at gmiller@otterbein.edu  

/ The Graduate School

The Graduate School is located in Roush Hall, room 208.

Office Hours
M-F: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm

p/ 614.823.3210
e/ grad@otterbein.edu

/ Summer At Otterbein

Register Now! Summer session beings May 8th.

Amy Featherstone
Graduate Education and Recruiter/Counselor
MAE, MAEM, adding licensure, professional development

Gaby Miller
Graduate Education and Recruiter/Counselor
Initial Teacher licensure programs/MAT and Post Baccalaureate