Department of English
Emory University, Ph.D., 2003 Research and Teaching Interests
Wesleyan University, B.A., 1995
- Eighteenth-century British literature
- Poetry and poetics
- Cognitive approaches to literature
Professional Affiliations and Awards
- American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
- Aphra Behn Society
- Poetry of Attention in the Eighteenth Century (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2012).
- “The Filter of Attention and Indissoluble Attractors in Eighteenth-Century Mock-Heroic Poetry”; Modern Philology, 108: 1 (August 2010): 65-88.
- “Odes of Absorption in the Restoration and Early Eighteenth Century”; Studies in English Literature (SEL), 47: 3 (Summer 2007): 659-678.
- “The Ode,” in Christine Gerrard, ed., A Companion to Eighteenth-Century Poetry. (Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2006), 386-402
Specializations: British Literature of the Long 18th Century, Poetry and Poetics, Satire and Comedy, Cognitive Approaches to Literature.
Scholarship: I recently completed a book manuscript, "Attention Dividends in 18th-Century English Poetry." And my essays have appeared in: Modern Philology, SEL (Studies in English Literature), and the Blackwell Companion to 18th-Century Poetry.
Recent or new topical courses: "A Sermon and a Striptease: the 18th-C Novel," "Mind & Matter," and "Poetry for the 21st Century."
Senior project interests: I'm happy to direct or read for projects on any aspect of 18th-century literature as well as projects that focus more broadly on poetry and poetics; the history of the novel; satire; comedy; early women and laboring-class writers; cognitive or other psychological perspectives on literature; science and literature; writing in the disciplines; Britain and British-ness