facebook twitter flickr you tube pinterest

Health Education

Within the Health Education major, students may choose to pursue a Public Health concentration or to seek Multi-Age (pre K-12) teacher licensure. Either concentration will prepare students to sit for the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam.

Those with a concentration in teacher licensure will be prepared to teach in school settings.

Those with a concentration in Public Health Education will be prepared to work as a health educator in community organizations such as health departments, voluntary organizations, or service organizations, as well as in worksites and health care settings.

Program Contact

Admission Requirements

Once admitted to Otterbein University, you are eligible to become a Health Education major automatically if you choose. Within the Health Education major, you may choose to pursue a Health Education major with a concentration in Public Health (non-teacher licensure) or seek Multi-Age (preK-12) license to teach in the public schools.

Seeking Teacher Licensure
If you are choosing to seek teacher licensure, you must also meet the Education Department Teacher Education Program requirements:

  • Minimum Math and English scores: ACT of 20 or SAT of 500 or PRAXIS I of 172*
  • Maintain a 2.75 Otterbein & major GPA*
  • Earn "C" or better grades in all major and Education required courses*
  • Complete fingerprint and annual background checks prior to any field experience courses
  • Receive positive Department and Field Experience recommendations
  • Submit an application and recommendation form to the Teacher Education Program the semester following the completion of EDUC 2000: Educational Psychology (Sophomore/Junior year).

*Failure to meet or maintain these requirements results in non-admission or dismissal from the Teacher Education Program.

If you are seeking teacher licensure, you will double major to increase your employment options. Please see bottom of this page for a checklist of requirements for the B.A in Health Education and Physical Education with Teacher Licensure.

Public Health Concentration: Follow the curriculum for a B.A. in Health Education with a concentration in Public Health. You are required to complete a semester internship. You are also encourage to complete a minor. Click here for a checklist of requirement for the B.A. in Health Education with a concentration in Public Health.

Transfer Students
Transfer students wishing to pursue teacher licensure must first contact the transfer counselor in the Admissions Office for specific information related to this process.


Students majoring in health education will be prepared to apply the seven areas of responsibility for health educators in a variety of work settings. Areas of responsibility include:

  • Assessing individual and community needs for health education
  • Planning health education strategies, interventions, and programs
  • Implementing health education strategies interventions, and programs
  • Conducting evaluation and research related to health education
  • Administering health education strategies, interventions, and programs
  • Serving as a health education resource person
  • Communicating and advocating for health and health education

Community Health - Positions such as Community Health Educator, Program Coordinator, or Health Education Consultant

  • Health Departments
  • Voluntary Health Organizations
  • Health Service Organizations

Worksite - Positions such as Health Educator, Health Promotion Manager, Wellness Coach, Health Promotion Specialist, Community Facilitator, Wellness Coordinator

  • Private companies

Health Care - Positions such as On-Site Health Educator, Community Wellness Coordinator, Patient Health Educator, Health Coach Consultant

  • Hospitals
  • Clinics

Those students with a teacher licensure concentration will be prepared to work in the following setting:

  • School - positions such as Health Education Teacher, Health Education Coordinator
  • Public schools (preK-12)
  • Private schools
  • Universitys and universities (with advanced degrees)


Otterbein University requires all seniors in our Allied Health, Health Education, Health Promotion and Fitness, and Sport Management programs to complete an internship. This opportunity allows you to integrate your formal academic preparation with a semester-long practical work experience.

The goals of the internship program are:

  • To enhance your professional growth.
  • To further your understanding and appreciation of the role, duties, and responsibilities of a health or sport professional.
  • To further the development of a central core of values, attitudes, skills, and information related to the world of work through experiences outside the classroom and campus environment.
  • To add depth and relevance to your classroom work.
  • To enable you to gain a sense of different career fields and of specific jobs within each of these fields.
  • To improve your job-search and interviewing skills.

What is an Internship?
Internships are semester long commitments (hours requirement varies by major and site) designed to give you pre-professional associations with sponsoring organizations. Internship opportunities are available during the entire calendar year.

How Long Does the Internship Last?
The duration of the internship is based the degree requirements of your major. Pleas consult with your advisor well in advance to plan this aspect of your education.

Otterbein's Internship Strengths
It's all about location, location, location. Columbus, the capital city of Ohio, and its surrounding communities offer many opportunities for you to gain access to a wide variety of work settings including government, corporations, commercial, recreational, and public and private agencies.

Where Our Students Intern
Recently, our students have interned at:

  • Ohio Department of Health
  • American Cancer Society  
  • Nationwide Children's Hospital Nutrition and Fitness program
  • Riverside Methodist Hospital
  • Children's Hunger Alliance


Background Check Information

Outlook Manor at Westerville  ($80.00)
690 Cooper Road
Westerville, OH 43081
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m.

National Background Check, Inc. (NWC) ($80.00)
Hondros University
4140 Executive Pkwy.
Westerville, OH 43081
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sat. 10 a.m.-12 p.m.

Course Checklists/Four Year Plans 

/ Department of Health and Sport Sciences

Annette Boose
Rike Center
p/ 614.823.3528
e/ aharting@otterbein.edu

/ Also see...