Otterbein students are engaged in the community through service-learning courses, community-based research, and direct volunteerism at local and global schools, non-profits and government agencies. Community engagement provides intentional hands-on opportunities for students to apply their knowledge and skills to real world issues while reflecting on their identity, self-efficacy, citizenship, social responsibility, and knowledge of the field. Students explore theoretical models and methodologies from the disciplines while participating in community service opportunities. Otterbein supports over 20 student-led service organizations and 60 service-learning courses where students can make a difference in the community.
Opportunities to Earn this Card
Click here to see the opportunities.
- Students will explain causes and complexities of social problems and systematic oppression.
- Students will examine communities from multiple perspectives [course may not be interdisciplinary; single student may have multiple perspectives].
- Students will act on community-identified needs/problems/issues.
- Students will practice civic and social responsibility (e.g., organize a food drive, commit to two hours of volunteer work each week) to achieve self-efficacy.
- Students will demonstrate resourcefulness in community settings (e.g., meet with community stakeholders to address an issue or need, seek information from literature about the identified issue or need).
Personalized Cardinal Experience
Many courses, co-curricular activities, research opportunities, non-credit bearing work, and off-campus experiences can serve as a Personalized Cardinal Experience (PCE). Review the application for the Community Engagement Card to determine if an experience may qualify. Each Personalized Cardinal Experience needs to be sponsored by a faculty or staff member who will help you identify how the experience will meet the criteria for earning a Card. A PCE Checklist should be completed with your sponsor prior to participation.
To start your Personalized Cardinal Experience journey complete the form below with your Card sponsor.
Personalized Cardinal Experience Community Engagement
For more information on community engagement opportunities visit the Center for Community Engagement webpage.