< Back to Commencement
When Degree Requirements Are Not Complete
When an undergraduate student is within one course of fulfilling degree requirements, Otterbein University is receptive to permitting participation in commencement. A student must submit an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org seeking approval.
Requests to participate in the May commencement will be accepted beginning at the start of the previous Fall Semester and accepted thru April 15.
Approval is contingent upon the following:
You must have a Graduation Application on file with the Registrar’s Office.
- The Registrar will check your degree audit in Banner to assure that only one course remains to be completed. You will be expected to do the same before submitting the email request. SYE 4900 and its co-requisite minimum 4hr internship are considered to be one course as is student teaching and its co-requisite 1hr SYE seminar.
- There are no exceptions to the one course policy. If you are short more than one course, your request will not be approved.
- If you are taking transient coursework in Spring at another institution, you must bring a copy of your schedule reflecting that to the Registrar.
- The one course needed to graduate must be taken at Otterbein in the Summer Term or Fall Semester that immediately follows commencement, and you must already be registered for it before tickets will be issued to you. If you sign up for the course and later drop it and take the course elsewhere, Otterbein University will not accept the course in transfer. Your file will be flagged accordingly to prevent transferability.
- Your email request must be sent no later than April 15.
Once the email request is received, the Registrar will respond shortly thereafter via email confirming approval and providing other details.