Welcome to Living Learning Communities
Otterbein offers our students a special, inclusive learning experience that connects classroom learning with theme based residential housing. Students enjoy all the usual benefits of living in the residence halls but with the added benefit of living among a group that share an academic experience. Faculty and Residence Life staff members have partnered to develop courses and programming designed to create a unique and inclusive living learning communities to help make connections inside and outside of the traditional classroom.
These theme-based communities are called Living Learning Communities (LLCs) and each of the four 2014-2015 LLCs is described below. Each LLC is housed within one or two floors of one our first-year residence halls and are geared towards an exclusive group of students. Those students who have been identified as benefitting from the LLCs will be invited to apply. Those students will be asked to complete a brief application that will include a short essay answering the following two questions: What do you hope to gain by being part of this Living Learning Community; and, What do you plan to contribute to this Living Learning Community?
Application links located at the bottom of this page after the LLC theme descriptions.
Themes for Academic Year 2014-15
- The Leadership LLC is open to all first-year students and will provide participants with the opportunity to develop a greater sense of themselves and improve their critical and reflective thinking skills as they explore leadership theories and concepts. Participants will have an opportunity to develop and enhance their leadership skills through various components of leadership education and to learn more about his or her personal leadership style.
- Participants can enroll in either FYS 1013 Women in Leadership: From Inside Out or FYS 1024 Leadership Pathways.
Health & Wellness
- The Health & Wellness LLC is designed to allow participants to become more aware of their strengths and challenges in the dimensions of wellness such as fitness and physical health as well as issue associated with community wellness. Participants will enjoy activities that challenge them physically, educate them on healthy eating and lifestyle choices, engage in community outreach, enjoy exciting excursions and most importantly create lasting friendships.
- Participants will enroll in HLED 1400 Individual and Community Health.
Sports in Society
- The Sports in Society LLC allows participants to explore the role of sports in the context of historical and contemporary culture to better understand the relationship sports in the United States plays with education, the economy, the media, as well as how issues of race, class and gender intersect with the sports experience. Participants will develop their academic and professional skills through their coursework, experiential learning opportunities, community engagement and developing relationships with fellow students, faculty and alumni who value the role sports plays in society.
- Participants will enroll in FYS 1014 How Sports Explain Us.
Compass - Exploring Otterbein
If you received an invitation to join an LLC please (CLICK HERE) to apply.
- The Compass LLC is designed for first-year students who come to Otterbein knowing they want a degree but are unsure of a particular field of study and want to explore options that best suit their interest and career aspirations. Participants will work with a dedicated faculty member or mentor who will assist them navigating their academic experience and exploring majors that might be a good fit.
- Participants will enroll in one of the following courses: FYS 1008 Finding Voice, Making Noise; FYS 1004 From Socrates to Snape; From Descartes to Dumbledore: The Philosophy of Harry Potter; FYS 1055 Asking Big Questions: Exploring the College Experience; and FYS 1053 OMG! An Orientation to Media Genres.
If you are interested in joining an LLC but were not invited and would like to be included on a waiting list, please (CLICK HERE). You will know by the time you register for courses during orientation if you are included in the LLC.