facebook twitter flickr you tube pinterest

Types of Study Abroad Programs


There are several ways to study abroad, including Otterbein's exchange programs, direct enroll programs, and faculty-led travel courses, and program providers. The paragraphs below describe each model. For more information contact the Study Abroad Coordinator.

Faculty-led Travel Courses

Short-term faculty-led study abroad programs are a popular way to experience travel outside the United States.  Students often enroll in these classes during May term or Spring term and travel with their professor/s and classmates to a destination or destinations overseas.  Studying abroad with a faculty member and classmates is a good way to “get your feet wet” and experience life outside of the U.S.  The duration of the travel component of these courses ranges from 10 days to 3 or 4 weeks.


Spring 2017 Course + May Travel

INST 2612: Art Architecture, & Cultural Heritage in Spain
Contact Professor Amy Johnson ajohnson@otterbein.edu for more information 

May 2017 Travel Course

INST 2204: Happiness and the Good Life
PSYC 3710: Gender, Culture, and Love
Contact Professor Michele Acker macker@otterbein.edu or Professor Andrew Mills amills@otterbein.edu for more information.  

INST 2201: Thelogy of Social Justice - Africa
INST 4045: The Civic Apprenticeship - Africa
SYE 4501: Africa
Independent Study 
Contact Professor Denise Shively dshively@otterbein.edu, Glenna Jackson gjackson@otterbein.edu, or Jeff Lehman jlehman@otterbein.edu for more information.

ZOSC 2910:Large Animal Ecology and Conservation in South Africa
Contact Professor Hal Lescinsky hlescinsky@otterbein.edu or Professor Beaux Berkeley eberkeley@otterbein.edu for more information

INST 2606: Vienna: Culture, Conflict, and Identity in Central Europe
SYE 4100: 1900-Vienna, City of Music - 2017
Contact Professor Dennis Davenport ddavenport@otterbein.edu for more information.      

In the past, Otterbein has offered these courses.  

  • ENGL2910 Literary Locations: Thailand 
  • INST2401 Life/Earth Systems: Costa Rica
  • SYE4506 Examination of History, Culture and Health Care in England
  • WGSS3000 Bodies and Borders: WGSS in London and Amsterdam

 Italy umbrellas

Exchange Programs

Exchange programs are special agreements that Otterbein University has with certain universities overseas.  Under exchange programs, for each Otterbein student that studies at a partner university for a semester or year, Otterbein receives a student from that partner university for the same term.  Currently, Otterbein University has exchange agreements with the following universities:

What you need to know about exchange programs:

  • You pay Otterbein tuition
  • All federal and Otterbein scholarships stay in effect
  • You will need to be nominated by the Coordinator to participate in an exchange program

Tyler in cambodia

Direct Enroll Study Abroad

Direct enroll programs usually require more work from the student, but they are often the least expensive way to study abroad. The student is required to gather information about the university overseas, apply directly to the university, sign up for courses and work with university personnel overseas to arrange for housing. Some common direct enroll universities listed below.

What you need to know about Direct Enroll Study Abroad:

  • Student finds a university, applies, enrolls in courses, and makes housing arrangements with the help of the Study Abroad Coordinator
  • Can save significant amounts of money
  • Federal financial aid can be applied to these programs

Hannah in Argentina

Study Abroad Program Providers

There are many study abroad providers that coordinate study abroad programs all over the world. These organizations/providers have package programs and arrangements with universities overseas, and they often have an on-site coordinator who helps students with housing, local travel, etc.  You pay for these services, and have the comfort of being in a group with other American students.

What you need to know about Study Abroad Providers:

  • You usually pay more but receive services such as an on-site coordinator, coordinated housing arrangements, and field trips
  • Federal financial aid can be applied to these programs


Summer Programs

Summer study abroad programs and internships are offered by many study abroad agencies. Students usually take 4 - 8 credit courses and can sometimes participate in internships.

In addition, some Otterbein faculty members and coaches take students overseas for several weeks for service projects.  Since these faculty and staff-led programs do not provide the opportunity for course credit, they are not officially considered to be study abroad programs. 

Program providers offer summer courses in just about every country around the world! 

Stop by CSS to learn more.

/ Study Abroad

The Center for Student Success is located at 172 West Main Street.

Office Hours
M-F: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

p/ 614.823.1624
f/ 614.823.1325

Michelle Dippold 
Study Abroad Coordinator
e/ studyabroad@otterbein.edu

/ Application Deadlines

  • Spring 2018, October 15, 2017 
  • Fall 2018 - March 31, 2018
  • Spring 2019 - October 15, 2018


/ Also See...