You're not alone. We're here to help.
Throughout college you may experience some trying or difficult times - you may feel alone, overwhelmed or be suffering. We are here to help and serve your needs.
Why do students meet with our counselors?
Otterbein students choose to meet with our counselors for a variety of reasons. Each situation is different and the counselors have the experience to handle many different situations. Our psychologists Dr. Mary Bricker and Dr. Kathy Ryan each have over 15 years of experience in providing counseling services to college students. Here are the most common reasons that students seek out counseling:
- Ending of a relationship
- Eating disorders
- Suicidal thoughts
- Roommate issues
- Trouble in classes
- Death of a friend or family member
- Just need someone to talk to
Cost Scheduling an Appointment
The first three counseling sessions per year are FREE of charge. Private/family insurance must be drawn upon for subsequent visits. If insurance is not an option, additional services can be provided after approval from Bob Gatti, Vice President of Student Affairs. Students are encouraged to discuss these further visits with their counselor.
Staff members available for consult:
- Call Student Affairs at 614.823.1250
- Set up an appointment with one of the staff members listed below to discuss our policies and processes as well as the payment plan. The staff member can also answer any questions you may have about the process.
- Set up a free meeting with one of the counselors, which will be held in the Student Affairs offices (Hanby Hall).
Will it be kept on my official record?
- Julie Saker, Director of Student Conduct and Wellness
- Lisa Patterson Phillips, Director of the Office of Diversity
- Bob Gatti, Dean of Students and Vice President for Student Affairs
- Matthew D'Oyly, Assistant Director of Residence Life
No. Appointment records are kept in a separate profile that is only accessed by the counselors. Tell Someone
Even if you don't decide to seek counseling, there are many people on campus who are here to help you. Look out for the Tell Me stickers that faculty and staff have posted on their doors. We can help you if you just tell someone!
/ Office of Student Affairs
The Office of Student Affairs is located in the back of Hanby Hall on Cochran Alley.
M-F: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
M-F: 8:30 am – 4:00 pm (summer)
p / 614.823.1250