facebook twitter flickr you tube pinterest
Campus Life

Off-Campus Living

Otterbein University considers residence life an integral part of a student’s development. As a residential campus, Otterbein University expects all single, traditionally admitted, undergraduate students enrolled for 12 or more credit hours to reside in University residential facilities (excluding Greek houses) unless they meet one of the following criteria:

  • Reside at the principal residence of their parent(s)/legal guardian(s) within a 30 mile radius of campus;
  • Will have completed at least 96 credit hours by the end of spring term of the current year and have not signed a housing contract for the following year;
  • Will be 22 years of age prior to the first day of classes of autumn term;
  • Legally married or single parent residing with their spouse or child(ren) within a 30 mile radius of campus;
  • Have lived in Otterbein or other college/university residence halls for three full years (nine quarters or six semesters, excluding summers);
  • United States military veterans with 18 months or more of active military service.

Students wishing to commute from their parent(s)' home shall submit the Application for Commuter Student Status 2017-2018 by February 24 for currently enrolled students and by July 1 for incoming, new and transfer students.

Students wishing to live off-campus and meeting one of the above criteria shall submit the Application for Off-Campus Status 2017-2018 by February 24 for current students and July 1 for new, transfer students. 

Current students not meeting one of the above criteria may request an exemption to this policy by special petition using the Housing Obligation Exemption Request Form. Petitions must include extraordinary circumstances unforeseeable at the time of admission to the University and documentation to support these circumstances. Petitions without supporting documentation will NOT be reviewed. Requests will be reviewed by the Housing & Meal Plan Subcommittee. New Transfer students may use the Transfer Student Housing Obligation Exemption Request Form.

All students residing in off-campus locations must notify the Student Affairs Office of their address at least one week prior to the first day of classes of fall semester.  

To assist students with the transition to off-campus houses and apartments, the Student Affairs Office provides the Off-Campus Living Resource Guide (PDF). The guide contains information about searching for off-campus accommodations, renter's rights, safety measures and important phone numbers. Paper copies of the guide are available in the Student Affairs Office.

Any student who has not submitted an application and been approved for Commuter or Off-Campus Status by August 1, will be automatically be assessed the on-campus Room & Board fees.

Any student who has not been approved for Commuter or Off-Campus Status and is found living in a location that has not been approved (e.g. an approved Commuter to be found living in an off-campus house) will automatically be assessed full Room & Board charges for the entire academic year.

/ Office of Residence Life

The Office of Residence Life is located in the back of Hanby Hall on Cochran Alley.

Office Hours
M-F: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

p/ 614.823.1250
e/ reslife@otterbein.edu

Quick Links