We offer information about discounts that we are aware of only as a resource to you. This does not constitute any endorsement or recommendation from Otterbein for the following commercial products or services. Our goal is to show available discounts for students versus otherwise paying full retail price. Check with Otterbein's bookstore for competitive software prices to the on-line vendors below.
Free Virus and Malware Removers
If you do not have a virus protection program installed, install ONLY ONE. You may buy your own or use a free one. Try one of these free ones: Microsoft Security Essentials (has both virus protection and malware protection inclusive), AVG OR Panda Cloud.
Along with one virus protection program, we recommend installing a malware remover. A good, free malware remover is Malwarebytes. Install, run updates and manually scan regularly to keep your computer running optimally.
Minimum Computing Standards
Otterbein does not require you to bring a computer to campus. If you do decide to bring a computer we would suggest something equal or greater than the following minimum standards.
Windows Based Minimum Computer Standards*
- Windows Vista
- 100 GB Hard drive
- 800-megahertz (MHz) 32-bit (x86) processor or 800-MHz 64-bit (x64) processor
- 2 GB Ram
- Network interface (Ethernet and/or wireless b/g/n)
- Microsoft Office or equivalent (equivalent program must be capable of saving files in MS Office format)
Apple Based Minimum Computer Standards*
- Mac OSX 10.6
- 120 GB Hard drive
- Intel Processor
- 1 GB Ram
- Network interface (Ethernet or wireless b/g/n)
- Microsoft Office, iWork, or equivalent (equivalent program must be capable of saving files in MS Office format)
Mobile Devices (Mobile Phones and Tablets)
- 802.1X WPA2 Enterprise compatible
*Remember to bring all documentation, restore disks and any installed software disks with you. The Student Help Desk will not install any pirated or illegal software.
*There will be minimal support for operating systems that are not Windows or Apple based