The Otterbein Semester is a program for international university students looking for a short-term study abroad experience in the United States. At Otterbein, students experience small classes (average class size is 18-20) taught by faculty who know and care about their students. Your academic experience will be individually crafted alongside your academic advisor. We offer an integrated learning environment with U.S. students and offer English language support when needed. You will stay on track to graduate as Otterbein faculty and staff help you select courses that will transfer back to your home institution. Otterbein University is known for its commitment to educating the whole person and hands-on learning.
Otterbein Semester students live and eat on campus with their fellow U.S. students, so it is truly an immersive experience. Students are also matched to Otterbein (non-residential) host families to provide students a “home” away from campus.
How to Apply
- Online Application, including essay
- $50 application fee
- Official university transcripts
- English language assessment. Students with scores lower than those listed may need to select courses from Otterbein's English as a Second Language (ESL) program.
- 79 or higher on the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT)
- 550 or higher on the paper-based TOEFL (PBT)
- 6.5 or higher on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- 21 or higher on the English section of the ACT
- 550 or higher on the Evidence-based Reading and Writing (ERW) section of the SAT
- Certain exemptions may apply. Contact an admission counselor if you think you may qualify
- Official bank statement and Sponsor Guarantee form
- Passport copy
Cost for Participation
Tuition and fees are $6,000 USD per semester. Students are eligible to participate for up to two consecutive semesters. A traditional room (double) and board (150 meals/semester) average $5,054 per semester. Students who are not covered by their parent’s health insurance are required to purchase health insurance while attending Otterbein University at a cost of approximately $96 per month. Students should plan on having access to $1,500 - $2,000 for miscellaneous expenses each semester.
Tuition includes access to:
- Otterbein library
- Computer labs, technology and free printing
- Gymnasium and Weight training center
- Coin-free laundry facilities (if living in campus housing)
- On-campus events and activities such as theatre and arts, athletics and student organizations
- Otterbike, bike share program