Off-Campus Access to Library Resources
Access Library Resources from Off-Campus?
The online catalog OPAL,
OhioLINK, general information,
and some services and resources are freely available to everyone. However,
most research databases and electronic journals have access restrictions
that require that you be a current Otterbein student, faculty, or staff
Alumni and community members may join the Friends
of Library to obtain borrowing privileges at all OhioLINK libraries. Members
of the Friends of the Library do not receive access to most databases and
e-journals from off-campus due to the license agreements with electronic
resource vendors. However, community members may use the computers in the
Reference area on the 1st floor of the Courtright Memorial Library to access
most library resources. See the Friends
of the Library page for more information on how to become a Friend.
Needed for Off-Campus Authentication?
Authentication for off-campus access requires:
- Your Otterbein or Otterbein Email username and password, if you are accessing the databases
from the Otterbein library's home page.
- Your Otterbein username is typically your name as shown in your
Otterbein e-mail address (the letters appearing before the @ symbol)
and the password you chose when you activated
- Your cardinal card number (starting with 7777...)if you are
accessing the databases through OhioLINK
Databases. (Students, faculty and staff only)
- When you click on one of the database links, you will be asked to
identify your institution, and then you'll be asked for your name
and the number that is shown on your Cardinal
Card. To get a cardinal card, please visit the Cardinal
Card Office at the campus center.
Troubleshooting Tips for Accessing Remotely
- Be sure your browser supports cookies and is enabled to accept them, or answer "yes" if you are prompted to accept a cookie. Your browser must accept cookies for the connection to the desired database to occur. Check your browser now.
- Unless certain ports are opened on the firewall, it will block you from accessing OhioLINK databases. See the list of required ports. Contact the network administrator of your business or organization. You may not be able to access library databases from behind a firewall.
- Some database vendors restrict use to a limited number of simultaneous users. If you see such an error, wait a few minutes and try again.
- If the Otterbein server is down, you can access some databases from OhioLINK. See OhioLINK Remote Authentication Help for more information on how to access these databases.
- Articles in American Chemical Society Publications as well as a news feed from Chemical & Engineering News through iPhone/ iPod Touch "app"
- Must download the app from the Apple iTune Store for $2.99.
- See FAQ from EBSCOhost databases for more details.
gives you access to your references in RefWorks from your smart phone, mobile phone or PDA.
- Go to Working with RefMobile for details and help.
- You will need to use the subscriber code that was supplied to you via email after you registered for your individual account on campus. If you no longer have that code, please call Reference Services at 614-823-1984.
If you have trouble connecting from home, try the student help line 823-1060.
Faculty & staff should use the x1747 help line. Other connection-related
questions & answers are on the Information Technology's FAQ Page.
If after reading this page and you still have any questions about accessing
any of the library services from off campus, Ask