Aida Odobasic, Assistant Professor, Business, Accounting, & Economics
Aida Odobasic is an Assistant Professor of Economics in the Department of Business, Accounting, and Economics (BAE) at Otterbein University. She holds MSc. and Ph.D. degrees in economics from the University of Delaware. She is an applied microeconomist with a special interest in development and labor economics and specific expertise in immigration and public policies regarding immigration.
In the past, she worked as an Assistant Professor of Economics in the Economics Department at the University of Delaware (UD). Her teaching excellence was recognized by UD students and she was awarded excellence in teaching award in 2016 by the University of Delaware Faculty Senate.
Dr. Odobasic’s current research studies immigrant’s labor market outcomes and the role of immigrant integration in the host society. She studies the role of marrying a native on immigrant’s wages, outcomes of immigrant children, and the process of closing the immigrants’ wage gap. Dr. Odobasic believes that one of the best ways of learning is for students to complete their research projects, assisted and supported by her.
Dr. Odobasic presented her research in the number of conferences including the Annual Southern Economics Association Conference (SEA) and the American Economics Conference (AEA) poster session.
Dr. Odobasic currently teaches Principles of Microeconomics (Econ 2100), Intermediate Microeconomic Analysis (3100), International Economics (Econ 3300), and Labor Economics and Industrial Relations (Econ 3600). She also taught International Economics and Banking and Monetary Policy in the past.
Hobbies and Interests
- Visiting all the National Parks of the US
- Enjoying theater plays at Otterbein and elsewhere
- Cooking and tasting delicious foods from all around the world
- Traveling to and learning about new places
- PH.D. in Economics, University of Delaware, 2017
- MSc. in Economics and Applied Econometrics, University of Delaware, 2014
- B.A., Magna Cum Laude, Economics, Hood College, 2012
Research, Creative, & Professional Work
- Applied Microeconomics
- Labor Economics
- Development Economics
- In November 2018, Dr. Odobasic presented her work on immigrant labor outcomes at the Southern Economic Conference in Washington, DC, during the session on immigrants. She was the chair of this session.
- She presented a poster Marry One to Be One during the Allied Social Sciences Association (ASSA) - American Economic Associations (AEA) annual meeting in January 2019. The poster was on display for three days and available to thousands of economists from all over the world.
Affiliations & Awards
- Member of the American Economic Association, Southern Economic Association, Committee on Status of Women in Economics, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Pi Mu Epsilon, Phi Kappa Phi
- Graduate Student Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Delaware May 2016
- Graduate Assistantship, University of Delaware 2012–2017
- Professional Development Awards, University of Delaware 2015 and 2016
- Leadership Prize, Economics Department, Hood College May 2012
- Summer Research Institute Grant, Hood College 2010
- The Shelby Davis Scholarship, United World College Scholars Program 2008–2012
- Hood International Scholarship, Hood College 2008–2012