Robin Grote, Associate Professor, Chemistry
Robin Grote began teaching at Otterbein in 2012. She teaches courses in Organic Chemistry, Chemical Biology, Integrative Studies, and a Freshman Year Seminar (FYS) course. She is the Director of Undergraduate Research and Creative Work at Otterbein. Dr. Grote is a graduate of San Diego State University, where she received a Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry, which was followed by graduate studies at the University of California, Irvine. After receiving her Ph.D., working with Professor Elizabeth Jarvo, she completed her postdoctoral research with Professor Samuel Danishefsky at Columbia University.
- B.A. San Diego State University
- Ph.D. University of California
Research, Creative, & Professional Work
Professor Grote teaches a variety of courses including Organic Chemistry, Advanced Topics in Organic Chemistry (Mechanism, Synthesis, Medicinal Chemistry, and Spectroscopy), as well as courses in the Integrative Studies Program and Freshman Year Experience Program. Her research interests focus on the development of new synthetic methodology to make heterocycles and the characterization of novel compounds.
- Peng, F.; Grote, R.E.; Wilson, R.M.; Danishefsky, S.J. “Pattern Recognition Analysis in Complex Molecule Synthesis and the Preparation of iso-Diels-Alder Motifs.” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 2013, 110, 10904-10909.
- Peng, F.; Grote, R.E.; Danishefsky, S. J. “Further Expansion of the trans-Diels-Alder Paradigm: Reductive Alkylation of ∝-Cyanoketones.” Tetrahedron Lett. 2011, 52, 3957-3959.
- Williams, F.J.; Grote, R.E.; Jarvo, E.R. “Rhodium-Catalyzed Redox Allylation Reaction of Ketones.” Chem. Comm. 2012, 48, 1496-1498.
- Shaghafi, M.B.; Grote, R.E.; Jarvo. E.R. “Oxazolidine Synthesis by Complementary Stereospecific and Stereoconvergent Methods.” Org. Lett. 2011, 13, 5188-5191.
- Grote, R.E. and Jarvo, E.R. “Palladium-Catalyzed, One-Pot, Three-Component Synthesis of Homoallylic Amines from Aldehydes, Anisidine, and Allyl Trifluoroacetate.” Org. Lett. 2009, 11, 485-488.
- Barczak, N.T.; Grote, R.E.; Jarvo, E.R. “Catalytic Umpolung Allylation of Aldehydes by π-Allylpalladium Complexes Containing Bidentate N-Heterocyclic Carbene Ligands.” Organometallics 2007, 26, 4863-4865."
Affiliations & Awards
- Member of the American Chemical Society
- Amgen Medicinal Chemistry Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2010-2012
- UC Irvine Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award, 2010
- ARCS Foundation Fellowship, Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation Scholar, 2008-2010