Shelley Payne, Professor, Health & Sport Sciences
Dr. Shelley Payne is a Professor and leads our Allied Health major at Otterbein. Dr. Payne is also a physical therapist and athletic trainer with over 20 years of sports medicine experience. She is actively engaged in teaching and research in the areas of lower extremity biomechanics and injury prevention. She also maintains a research interest in life-long learning and learner self-direction and is published in this area as well.
- Doctorate of Health Science, University of Indianapolis, 2011
- Master of Science: Physical Therapy, University of Indianapolis, 1997
- Bachelor of Arts: Physical Education, Sports Medicine, DePauw University, 1995
Research, Creative, & Professional Work
- Lower Extremity Biomechanics
- Injury Prevention
- Self-Directed Learning Readiness
- Life-long Learning
- Payne S. Reliability of a 2-dimensional running gait analysis [Abstract 2]. J Sport Med Allied Health Sci. 2018;4(1).
- Payne, S., Barrett, K., & Wilkins, J. (2016). The effect of step frequency training on a male with patellofemoral pain. Journal of Sports Medicine and Allied Health Sciences. 3(1).
- Braun, RE, Cialella K., Payne S, Harper W, Rocks J. The perceptions of NSAID use among one Midwestern DIII athletic department. The Journal of Sport Behavior. Volume 40, Number 1, 2017.
- Payne, S., Rocks J., & Schaffner, B. Self-direction in learning and academic motivation development in undergraduate health profession students. International Journal of Self-Directed Learning. Volume 11, Number 1, Spring 2014, pages 41-51. http://www.sdlglobal.com/IJSDL/IJSDL11.1.pdf
- Payne, S. Rundquist, P., Gahimer, J., & Harper, W. Self-directed learning readiness and self-determination for selected rehabilitation professional students: the impact of clinical education. International Journal of Self-Directed Learning. Volume 10, Number 1, Spring 2013, pages 35-42. http://www.sdlglobal.com/IJSDL/IJSDL10.1.pdf
Affiliations & Awards
- Member of the Editorial Board for the International Journal of Self-Directed Learning
- Ohio Athletic Trainer’s Association Scholarship Subcommittee Chairperson
- Chairperson of the Ohio Athletic Trainers' Association Research & Grants Subcommittee
- Otterbein University New Teacher of the Year – 2012