June Letter to Students from President Comerford
Posted Jul 08, 2020
We are hard at work preparing to welcome you to campus for in-person classes in the fall. Attached are some of our early (and draft) plans. They will continue to change based on new guidelines from public health officials and your feedback. If you have questions or concerns, please direct them to Studentaffairsdept@otterbein.edu.
Here are the highlights of our current plans:
- We will start the semester as scheduled on August 24. Three-day weekends and fall break will be canceled (with the request that residential students not go home) and those extra class days will allow us to finish instruction before Thanksgiving. Finals may be conducted remotely after Thanksgiving if the virus is spreading in the fall.
- We are prepared to return to online instruction at any point should we be advised by public health officials to do so. All classes will be set up so that students not able to attend in-person (due to quarantine or isolation) can continue to participate.
- Face coverings will be required in classrooms and other common spaces, unless it is unsafe for you to wear one. We will provide two face coverings when you arrive on campus. Social distancing will also change the configuration of classrooms, dining, lounges, etc.
- Students, faculty, and staff will do a daily self-assessment and COVID-19 testing will be available on campus. Isolation and quarantine plans are in place for when we have a positive case.
- Athletics are able to continue given current guidance, though we will limit travel roster sizes, eliminate JV and some non-conference competition, and limit spectators.
- There will be more cleaning, but students will also need to use disinfecting sprays before using common areas (desks, computers, sinks, etc.). These supplies will be provided.
- Students who prefer online classes will have options to continue to learn in this manner.
We will keep updating these plans and keep in touch with you over summer. In the meantime, stay safe! We can’t wait to see you in August.