Plan. Believe. Succeed.
Student Success & Career Development
Student Success & Career Development provides comprehensive services to assist students as they explore and discover plans for their Otterbein journey, inside and outside of the classroom, and goals for their career. SSCD empowers students to make informed and intentional choices to ensure academic and professional success while preparing them for life beyond Otterbein.
The Advising Experience & Career Advising
The Advising Experience
Otterbein takes pride in its faculty advising model, which allows students to make deep and meaningful connections with faculty members within their departments. The collaboration between students and their advisor is the foundation of the students’ educational and career journey.
- Students will be able to make appointments with their advisor each semester to determine the best plan for them academically.
- Faculty will be able to assist students with the mechanics of scheduling, such as using Banner, adding and dropping courses, and preparing 4 year plans.
- Faculty will be able to refer students to other relevant resources on campus to assist students with internships, career choices, and academic coaching and tutoring.
- Most importantly, the relationship that is forged between students and advisors helps build numerous networking possibilities, career opportunities that may enhance the student’s learning experiences, and establishes a mentor within their chosen fields of study.
We help empower students to navigate the self-discovery process and integrate their curricular and co-curricular experiences by providing comprehensive resources and professional development opportunities that promote career development as a lifelong process. Through individualized career advising and career education programming, students gain new insight on areas including:
- Career and major exploration.
- Resume and cover letter development.
- Internship and job search strategies.
- Graduate school preparation.
- Practice interview training.
- We are committed to supplemental academic advising and holistic career advising by providing individual assistance and a variety of resources and programs to help guide students along their Otterbein journey and toward their career goals.
- We are committed to collaboration with campus and community partners.
- We are committed to help students think comprehensively about their interests, skills, and values and how those translate to academic and career success.
- We are committed to helping students make the most of their Otterbein experience: academic success, career exploration, study abroad, and professional experiences.
Academic Hearing Board
Student Success & Career Development serves as the academic home for students who are undeclared majors, as well as students who are transitioning between majors. The process of finding a major is an important step to your academic success and we will support you every step of the journey.
Decide to Be Undeclared
Many students experience anxiety when they are not sure of a college major. However, at Otterbein, our students often take pride in their intentional decision not to declare a major.
Undeclared students surround themselves with resources to learn more about who they are, what their strengths and interests are, market and job trends, and build an academic plan that leads to success.
Most undeclared students take time to explore different academic interests within their first year, while also making forward progress on their general education requirements. Students can often begin in major classes within the first year at Otterbein, which means undeclared students can really dive into an area of interest within the first year. If they find that major isn’t a good fit, they have plenty of time to try something new.
Resources to Help You Find a Major
Students who are undeclared majors at Otterbein are surrounded with resources to help them discover their major and ultimate vocational path.
Student Success & Career Development serves as the departmental home for undeclared students. SSCD coordinates communication and programming for undeclared students. Additionally, we provide supplemental academic advising to help direct students as they transition between majors and academic programs.
Student Success & Career Development provides guidance for students seeking to understand more about themselves and related career paths. Through individualized appointments, career assessments, and programs, SSCD provides career advising and exploration resources. First-year students are encouraged to use SSCD for early career and major planning.
Additionally, each undeclared student is assigned an academic advisor. This is a personal guide to their academic journey and success as Otterbein. Undeclared advisors receive additional training on working specifically with undeclared students.
College Credit Plus
- Student Success & Career Development has a dedicated academic advisor to support all College Credit Plus/Otterbein Collegiate Institute (CCP/OCI) students. Students will work directly with our academic advisor to discuss course options and register for classes at Otterbein.
- Our CCP/OCI advisor will work with students, families, and high school guidance counselors, to understand the students goals and plans and work to create course schedules that best align with those goals.
- More information and application for College Credit Plus at Otterbein can be found through our Admission website.