The Otterbein Thrift Shop
Location: 177 W. Park St.
Hours: Wednesday (10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
Saturday (10:00 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
Closed annually between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
The Otterbein Thrift Shop is operated by the Westerville Otterbein Women’s Club (W.O.W.C.) to serve Otterbein University. Proceeds go directly to the University to support seven endowed scholarships and The Diamond Jubilee Grant. Capital Project gifts are given to support the mission and strategic plan of Otterbein University.
Interested in Making a Donation?
The Thrift Shop is a charitable organization under 501(c) (3) of the IRS Code for exempt purposes. Contributions to us as listed on donor receipts are deductible for those who file itemized returns. Please think of us when you are spring cleaning, redecorating, or have leftover garage sale items. Donations of clothing, knick knacks, collectibles, small appliances, kitchenware, sporting goods, linens and pictures may be left on the back porch at any time. We cannot accept mattresses, stuffed furniture, large appliances, workout equipment, TV’s, computers, or encyclopedias. All donated items that cannot be sold are picked up on a weekly basis by the Salvation Army.
The Thrift Shop often receives donations from students who are moving out of the residence halls at the end of the year. Reusable items are sent to appropriate charities, one of which is the Thrift Shop.
The Club has donated merchandise to the annual Staff Assembly Holiday Auction. We also have participated in RecycleMania, and campus “fairs” to publicize our philosophy of reusing, and recycling that contributes to campus sustainability efforts.
The Thrift Shop cooperates with the Westerville Area Resource Ministry (W.A.R.M.) to provide clothing certificates that allow free shopping for outfits for individuals and families in need.
About the Westerville Otterbein Women’s Club
The Westerville Otterbein Women’s Club was founded in 1921 for the purpose of raising funds for Otterbein and her students. Initially, funds were raised through bake sales and rummage sales. In 1952 the first thrift shop opened in the basement of Cowan Hall. After the basement in Cowan flooded, the shop was temporarily moved to a room in Towers, eventually to a house on Maple Street, and in the 1970s to its home at 177 W. Park Street.
As of September 2018, more than one million dollars has been raised.