Dean Johnston, Professor, Chemistry
Dean Johnston started at Otterbein in 1995 where he teaches courses in Introductory and Inorganic Chemistry.
Dean received his undergraduate education at the College of Wooster where he majored in Chemistry. He earned a Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry at Northwestern University working with Duward Shriver and continued his studies conducting post-doctoral work with H. Holden Thorp at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Dean’s primary research interests are in synthetic inorganic chemistry and the photophysical properties of metal cluster systems. His research with undergraduate students has been supported by Research Corporation, the Petroleum Research Fund, and the National Science Foundation. Dean has also received funding to develop online resources for teaching molecular symmetry and to incorporate structural chemistry into the undergraduate chemistry curriculum.
- Northwestern University, Ph.D., 1993
- Northwestern University, M.S., 1989
- The College of Wooster, B.A., 1988
Research, Creative, & Professional Work
- Synthetic inorganic chemistry
- X-ray crystallography
- Photophysical properties of metal cluster systems
- Molecular symmetry
- Structural chemistry
- Effect of Intraligand pi-Delocalization on the Photophysical Properties of Two New Ru(II) Complexes, Lutterman, D. A.; Lazinski-Melanson, L. A.; Asher, Y.; Johnston, D. H.; Gallucci, J. C.; Turro, C., Photochem. Photobio. A 2011, 217, 100-107.
- A low-temperature phase of bis(tetrabutylammonium) octa-u3-chloridohexachlorido-octahedro-hexatungstate, Johnston, D. H.; Brown, C. M.; Yu, A. S.; Gallucci, J. C., Acta Cryst. C, 2010.
- Kinetic Study of the Ring-Opening Metathesis Copolymerization of Ionic with Nonionic Cyclooctatetraene Derivatives to Yield Polyactylene Ionomers, Johnston, D. H.; Gao, L.; Lonergan, M. C., Macromolecules, 2010.
- Polyelectrolyte-Mediated Electrochemical Fabrication of a Polyacetylene p-n Junction, Robinson, S. G.; Johnston, D. H.; Weber, C. D.; Lonergan, M. C., Chemistry of Materials, 2010, 22 (1), 241-246.
- Synthesis and Self-Limited Electrochemical Doping of Polyacetylene Ionomers, Gao, L.; Johnston, D.; Lonergan, M. C., Macromolecules, 2008, 41 (12), 4071-4080
Affiliations & Awards
- Member of the American Chemical Society
- Member of the American Crystallographic Association