Kristy McCray, Associate Professor, Health & Sport Sciences
Kristy McCray is a member of Otterbein’s Experts Bureau. To speak with an expert, please contact Director of Communications Jenny Hill at email@example.com or 614-370-3221.
Kristy McCray, Ph. D., earned her undergraduate and master’s degrees at the University of Southern California before working as an academic advisor for athletes at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. She earned her Ph. D. from The Ohio State University in Kinesiology – Sport Management. She later served as the Executive Director for a non-profit rape crisis center; now, she combines her two previous work experiences to do research on sexual violence in sport, focusing specifically on sexual violence prevention in college athletics.
Areas Of Expertise
- Sexual Violence in Athletics
- Sexual Assault Prevention
- Sexual Assault
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Sport Management
- Diversity & Inclusion in Higher Education
- Sexual Assault Awareness
- Sexual Violence
- Sexual Assault and Student Athletes
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University, 2015. Kinesiology (Sport Management)
- M.Ed., University of Southern California, 2007. Postsecondary Administration and Student Affairs
- B.A., University of Southern California, 2002. Print Journalism and Political Science
Levine, J., Cintron, A., & McCray, K. (in press). Legal implications of conducting background checks on intercollegiate student athletes. Marquette Sports Law Review.
Cintron, A., Levine, J., & McCray, K. (in press). Preventing sexual violence on college campuses: An investigation of current practices of conducting background checks on student athletes. Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport.
Taylor, E. A., Jones, G., McCray, K., & Hardin, R. (in press). Creating ethical decision makers: The influence of education on perceptions of sexual harassment and sexual assault. Sport Management Education Journal.
Bailey, R. L., & McCray, K. L. (2019). Keeping campuses safe: The college athlete crime and consequence conundrum. Journal of NCAA Compliance, May/June 2019, 3-24.
McCray, K. L. (in press). Sexual Assault and Intercollegiate Athletes. In W. O’Donohue, C. Cummings, P. Schewe (Eds.), Handbook of Sexual Assault and Sexual Assault Prevention. New York, NY: Springer.
McCray, K. L., Sutherland, S. L., & Pastore, D. L. (2018). Creating change in intercollegiate athletics: The Sexual Assault Prevention Paradigm for athletic departments. Journal of Higher Education, Athletics, & Innovation, 1(4), 25-53.
Parietti, M., Lower, L., & McCray, K. (2016). The career readiness of intercollegiate athletes: Is there a gender gap? Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics, 9, 283-302.
Pastore, D. L., Parietti, M., McCray, K., Dabbs, S., Yang, S. Y., & Park, Y. (2015). Podcasts in higher education with specific examples in sport management. Future Focus: Ohio Journal of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, 36(2), 19-28.
- McCray, K. L. (2015). Intercollegiate athletes and sexual violence: A review of literature and recommendations for future study. Trauma, Violence, and Abuse, 16(4), 438-443.
Affiliations & Awards
- Ohio Department of Higher Education, Changing Campus Culture Grant, 2018-2019
- Otterbein University, New Teacher of the Year, 2017
- Otterbein University, Sexual Violence Task Force member
- North American Society for Sport Management, member
- Sport Recreation and Law Association, member
- North American Society for the Sociology of Sport, member