Michael Yonchak, Associate Professor, Music
Dr. Michael Yonchak currently serves as Associate Professor of Music at Otterbein University in Westerville, Ohio, and is an active freelance percussionist in the greater Columbus area. Dr. Yonchak earned the Bachelor of Music in Education (percussion emphasis) and Master of Music in Instrumental Conducting degrees from the Dana School of Music at Youngstown State University in Youngstown, Ohio, and completed the Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA) in Wind Conducting from the University of Kentucky. His research continues to focus on performance practices and interpretation of the music of Frank Zappa, which has subsequently led to the publication and clinic presentations about this composer and other topics within popular music and culture.
- Doctor of Musical Arts in Instrumental Conducting, University of Kentucky, 2008
- Master of Music in Conducting, Youngstown State University, 2003
- Bachelor of Music in Education (Percussion emphasis), Youngstown State University, 2000
Research, Creative, & Professional Work
- Frank Zappa
- Popular Music & Culture
- Percussion Performance
- “Protest Music During the Vietnam War, 1966-1970”. Imperialism and Expansionism in American History: A Social, Political, and Cultural Encyclopedia, edited by Christopher Magoc. United States: ABC-CLIO, 2014.
- “Possession and Exorcism in Popular Music”. Themes of Possession and Exorcism in American Popular Music. Spirit Possession Around the World: Possession, Communion, and Demon Expulsion Across Cultures, edited by Joe Laycock. United States: ABC-CLIO, 2014.
- “Backmasking”. Themes of Possession and Exorcism in American Popular Music. Spirit Possession Around the World: Possession, Communion, and Demon Expulsion Across Cultures, edited by Joe Laycock. United States: ABC-CLIO, 2014.
- "Frank Zappa’s Envelopes: Style and Analysis." WASBE Journal, Volume 16, March 2010.
- "The Crux of the Biscuit: A Look at Frank Zappa’s Dog Breath Variations for Wind Ensemble and Rock Band." NBA Journal, Volume 49 (2), December 2008.
- "The Rock and Roll Wind Ensemble: Rehearsal Strategies and Stylistic Interpretations to Three Works for Wind Ensemble by Frank Zappa." DMA dissertation, University of Kentucky, May 2009
Affiliations & Awards
- Endorsee for Vic Firth, Inc., and Finnegan Hill Irish Percussion
- Kappa Kappa Psi (honorary)
- Tau Beta Sigma (honorary)
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (honorary)
- Ohio Music Education Association (OMEA)
- College Band Directors National Association (CBDNA)
- National Band Association (NBA)
- Percussive Arts Society (PAS)