Noam Shpancer, Professor, Psychology
- Ph.D., Purdue University, 1999
- M.A., Purdue University, 1996
- B.A., University of Houston, 1991
Research, Creative, & Professional Work
- Introduction to Psychology
- Psychology for Non Majors
- Abnormal Psychology
- Child Development
- Lifespan Development
- Personality Psychology
- Positive Psychology
- Human Sexuality
- Health Psychology
- Advanced Research Seminar
- Childcare Daycare
- Child development
- Social attitudes about daycare
- Daycare caregivers
- Shpancer, N., (2019). Day care and its effects. In Stephen Hupp and Jeremy Jewell (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Child and Adolescent Development. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Shpancer, N., (2017). Day Care. In: Todd K. Shackelford and Viviana A. Weekes-Shackelford. (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Evolutionary Psychological Science. Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-16999-6_2435-1
- Shpancer, N., & Schweitzer, S. N. (2016). A history of non-parental care in childhood predicts more positive adult attitudes towards non-parental care and maternal employment. Early Child Development and Care, 1-12.
- Shpancer, N., (2016). Nonparental Child Care (Daycare). In: Howard S. Friedman (Editor in Chief), Encyclopedia of Mental Health, 2nd edition, Vol 3, Waltham, MA: Academic Press; pp. 202-207.
- Shpancer, N. (2013). Der glücklose Therapeut: Roman. Albrecht Knaus Verlag.
- Shpancer, N. (2011). Dealing with childhood trauma in adult therapy: Facts and follies. The Ohio Psychological Association Annual Report. p. 27-29.
- Shpancer, N. (2010-). Insight Therapy: Psychologically Informed Reflections on how we Interact. (Blog). Psychology Today.
- Shpancer, N. (2010). The good psychologist: a novel. Henry Holt and Company.
- Shpancer, N. Bowden, J. M., Ferrell, M. A., Pavlik, S. F., Robinson, M. N., Schwind, J. L., Volpe, E. K., Williams, L. M., & Young, J. N. (2010). Young adults’ recollections of parental and nonparental childcare. Early Child Development and Care, 3, 263-269.
- Shpancer, N. Sayre, P. S., Melick, K. M., Coxe, K., Spivey, A. T., Kuntzman, D., Toto, C., and Dunlap, B. (2008). Educators or babysitters? Day care caregivers reflect on their profession. Child Care in Practice, 14, 401-412.
- Shpancer, N. (2006). The effects of daycare: Persistent questions, elusive answers. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 21, 227-237.
- Shpancer, N. (2002). The home-daycare link: Mapping children’s new world order. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 174, 1-19.
- Shpancer, N. (1998). Caregiver-parent relationships in daycare: A review and re-examination of the data and their implications. Early Education and Development, 9, 239-259.
- Shpancer, N., & Britner, P. A. (1995). Biases in quality attributions to mother-child and caregiver-child interaction. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 10, 249-259.
- Shpancer, N. (1993). Transforming the child care debate. American Psychologist, 48, 693-694.
- Google Scholar Citations
Affiliations & Awards
- Ohio Magazine’s “Excellence in Education” Award, 2007
- New Teacher of the Year Award Otterbein University, Westerville, OH, 2002