Professor & Department Chair
Department of Philosophy & Religion
- Ph.D., Philosophy, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1997
- M.A., Philosophy, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1992
- A.B., Philosophy, University of Michigan, 1990
Research, Creative, & Professional Work
- Philosophical Pedagogy
- The value of the liberal arts
- The value of philosophy
- Environmental Philosophy
- Ancient Greek and Roman Philosophy
- Philosophy of Happiness
- Co-editor (with Steven M. Cahn and Alexandra Bradner) Philosophers in the Classroom. Indianapolis, IN: Hackett Publishing Co., 2018
- Co-editor (with J. Robert Loftis), American Association of Philosophy Teachers Studies in Pedagogy, Volume 2 (2016): Teaching Plato.
- “Keeping it Under Control” in Downton Abbey and Philosophy: Thinking in that Manor, edited by Adam Barkman and Robert Arp, Open Court Press, 2015, pp. 61-70.
- “Concepción’s Approach to Reading Philosophy: A Lesson on How, and Why, to Teach Essential Philosophical Skills” in Emily Esch, Kevin Hermberg, and Rory E. Kraft Jr., eds., Philosophy Through Teaching, American Association of Philosophy Teachers, 2014.
- “Patriotism, House Loyalty, and the Obligations of Belonging” in The Ultimate Harry Potter and Philosophy: Hogwarts for Muggles, edited by Gregory Bassham, Basil Blackwell Press, 2010, pp. 97-112
- “Knowledge of Language”, The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- “Leopold and Loeb and an Interdisciplinary Introduction to Philosophy” Teaching Philosophy, (28), March 2005
- “What’s So Good About A College Education?” in Glenna S. Jackson and Andrew P. Mills, eds., The Integrative Studies Reader McGraw-Hill Press, 2002.
- “Deflationism and the Disquotational Schema: Letting the Air Out of Wright’s Argument against Minimal Truth”, Philosophical Papers, (29), April, 2000
- “Unsettled Problems with Vague Truth”, Canadian Journal of Philosophy (25), March 1995
Affiliations & Awards
- Past President, American Association of Philosophy Teachers
- Past President, Ohio Philosophical Association
- Editorial Board Member, Teaching Philosophy