An Innovative Curriculum For Driven Students - MBA
The Otterbein MBA curriculum consists of 12 courses (36 credit hours). Areas of focus are offered in Design Thinking, Healthcare Administration, and Actuarial Science. See bottom of page for details.
|MBA 6000||Organizational Behavior|
|MBA 5800||Communications & Negotiations|
|MBA 6450||Financial Management|
|MBA 5640||Entrepreneurship & Leadership|
|MBA 6850||Managing Information Systems|
|MBA 6910||Production Development & Innovation OR MBA 6300 Operations Management|
|MBA 6150||Managerial Economics and Business Strategy|
|MBA 6700||Global Competition & World Economy|
|MBA 5905/6905||Special Topics|
|MBA 6990||Capstone Project|
The MBA Capstone Project
Students utilize their knowledge, problem solving, creative thinking and soft skills, obtained from the program, to support an actual consulting project. The project is developed in a cross-functional team setting under the direction of the professor and the project manager. The course requires students to interact with the client on a regular basis to plan, prepare, and collaborate with client representatives. Half of the class time is devoted to strategy and discussion with the client, while the second half is conducted in a work-environment setting with the professor. The course results in a strategic project document, and a final presentation of key findings and recommendations given to the client.
Previous MBA Consulting Project Clients
- Mindset Digital
- McMillanCo LLC
- Living Water of Ohio
- Varo Engineers, Inc.
- Switchbox, Inc.
- Nationwide Insurance
- Worthington Cylutions
- Panelmate PC
- Pilkington Glass
- City of Worthington
- Crane Plastics
- Bayer Advanced LLC
- Central Garden Pets
- Columbus Foam Products
- The Scott’s Company
- Concord Counseling Services
- Central Ohio Primary Care
- My Very Own Blanket
- Our CupCakery
- Worthington Area COC
- Progressive Medical
- Make-A-Wish Foundation
- Alliance Data
- Westerville Area Chamber Foundation
- American Red Cross of Greater Columbus
- Boy Scouts of America
- Cardinal Health
- Westerville Area Resource Ministry
- Meridian Managed Technologies
- Girl Scouts of Ohio
MBA Areas of Focus
Design Thinking (9 MBA courses; 3 CCAD courses)
Design Thinking combines design research, service design, studio & project courses for prototyping/impression/artifact work, along with design thinking principles critical in succeeding the innovative business and industry market, today. It is designed for individuals who wish to pursue a career in business design, organizational change, and/or innovation, among other potential career paths.
|Design Thinking Courses|
|GRID 5802||Design Thinking & Methodology|
|GRID 6003||Research Creation & Development|
|GRID 5806||Service Design|
Healthcare Administration (9 MBA courses; 3 Allied Health courses)
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics (USBLS) reports that employment of medical and health services management is expected to grow faster than average (23%) compared to all other occupations. There are also many layers of managerial and administrative roles needed throughout the entire health care system. Otterbein can offer the education and skills needed to meet the demand for employment opportunities in these areas. The strength of the MBA program coupled with a focus in Health Care Administration courses is the perfect fit for aspiring health care administrators.
|Healthcare Administration Courses|
|MSAH 5050||Allied Healthcare Administration|
|MSAH 5500||US Healthcare Policy|
|MSAH 6510||Ethical Healthcare Leadership|
Actuarial Science (9 MBA courses; 3 Actuarial Science courses)
Actuaries analyze statistical data, such as mortality, accident, sickness, disability, and retirement rates and construct probability tables to forecast risk and liability for payment of future benefits (Bureau of Labor Statistics). About 7 out of 10 actuaries are employed in the insurance industry. Most of the rest work for firms providing various corporate services, including actuarial consulting services. Experts predict many new opportunities will come from health service and computer service companies.
|Actuarial Science Courses (Choose 3 of the following)|
|ASCI 5000||4 hrs||Financial Mathematics|
|ASCI 5100||4 hrs||Actuarial Models I|
|ASCI 5200||4 hrs||Actuarial Models II|
|ASCI 5300||4 hrs||Loss Models|
|ASCI 5500||4 hrs||Special Topics in Actuarial Science|
Tuition & Scholarships
We can make earning your MBA a reality
Tuition for MBA classes is $650 per credit hour for a total of $23,400 (not including books). Our flexible financial aid options shown below can help get you into classes quickly. Additional lab, resource, and technology fees can be found in the fee schedule published by the Business Office.
Otterbein University Tuition Benefit
Ohio Health Associates enrolling as graduate students (up to 2 classes or 6 credit hours for graduate level coursework) will receive a scholarship reducing cost per credit hour to $500, or $1,500 per 3 credit course. Scholarship is valid for one graduate degree. Graduate Nursing degree(s) not included in this Scholarship.
Finance your Dream of Getting your Education.
Earning your MBA is not as daunting as you think. With our financial aid options we can help remove any cost challenges you may have. Otterbein is prepared to help you answer the question; how are you going to pay for your education? Graduate students are eligible for consideration for a variety of loans.
Applying for Financial Aid at Otterbein
- Obtain your PIN number from the U.S. Department of Education
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (Otterbein’s School Code is 003110).
- Complete the Institutional Aid Form
There is NO COST to apply for financial aid or to complete the FAFSA.
Questions? Email Student Financial Services or call 614-823-1502.
Course Payment Options
As an alternate plan to pay for your classes, we offer a deferred payment plan and a 4 part payment plan. See the Business Office for information about payment plans.
The Business Office will send you a bill every semester. You have two payment options:
- To pay with a check or money order, send it along with the invoice to Otterbein University Business Office, One Otterbein University, Westerville, OH 43081.
- Pay online with check or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover). The link to our secure payment gateway is on My O-Zone.
How to Apply
Apply for the Otterbein MBA Program
MBA applicants must have earned a four-year degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Professional work experience is recommended, but not required. The GMAT is required for applicants with below a 3.0 cumulative GPA (4.0 scale).
Fall Semester (August): Priority Deadline: July 1. Final Deadline: August 7.
Spring Semester (January): Priority Deadline: November 1. Final Deadline: December 15.
We offer rolling admissions as long as classroom space permits, with two available start terms each year (Fall and Spring).
How to Apply to the MBA Program
Click on New User, then create a login ID and password to begin the application. This allows you to save the application and complete it later, if necessary.
Register for the GMAT
Required for applicants with less than 3.0/4.0 GPA; all other candidates are required to take the GMAT exam and score a minimum of 500. Register and submit your official GMAT scores. Register for the GMAT today!
Submit Official Transcripts
Submit official transcripts from all institutions attended. (Regardless of the number of credits earned.) If available, please have your institution send official transcripts electronically.
Official transcripts may also be mailed to:
The Graduate School
1 South Grove Street
Columbus, OH 43081
Submit Two (2) Letters of Recommendation
- Otterbein MBA Letter of Recommendation
To the reference: Thank you for taking the time to submit a recommendation for an Otterbein MBA applicant! We are highly interested in receiving your feedback regarding applicants to our program. The Otterbein MBA is a highly engaging program with emphasis on collaboration, innovation, entrepreneurial & creative mindsets, and most importantly—helping to shape critical thinkers and problem-solvers who can make a positive impact in their organization & industry.
- Please submit your letter of recommendation addressing the following:
- What makes this candidate stand out as a stellar applicant to the Otterbein MBA program (i.e. character, work ethic, drive, initiative)?
- How would earning an MBA help set this individual up for career success and personal growth?
- What additional feedback should The Graduate School at Otterbein consider when reviewing the candidate’s application to the MBA program?
Recommendation letters may be submitted via email to email@example.com or by mail to:
The Graduate School
1 South Grove Street
Westerville, OH 43081
Submit a personal statement
Please tell us about yourself and why you wish to pursue an MBA at Otterbein. Consider your past educational and professional experience. How will an MBA help you achieve your personal/professional goals? Suggested length: 500 words. Essays/personal statements can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit a professional resume
Submit a current resume. Resumes can be emailed to email@example.com.
International applicants should see the additional requirements here.
Schedule Your Admission Interview
The Otterbein MBA is a highly engaging program, focused on fostering entrepreneurial and creative mindsets, as well as shaping critical thinkers and problem-solvers who are ready to make an impact within their organizations and industries. We look forward to meeting you to discuss your personal and professional goals, and how earning your MBA at Otterbein can help you achieve.
All applicants to the program complete an interview with the MBA Director, Don Eskew.
Foundation Courses (4 required)
The foundation component requirements can be fulfilled by taking the following courses at Otterbein (or another regionally accredited institution) and earning a “C” or better in each:
|Statistics||MATH 1240||Statistics I|
|Accounting||ACCT 2000||Financial Accounting|
Otterbein University welcomes students from around the world!
Join us to advance your knowledge, your skills, your opportunities and your place in the world. Otterbein offers you a community of scholars to engage with – from faculty mentors who will challenge and guide you – to fellow students who will inspire and support you. Otterbein’s Master of Business Administration program offers you opportunities to understand American systems of business, industry and commerce.
We require MBA candidates to have earned a four-year degree from a regionally accredited college or university and have professional experience. Candidates who earned a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale are not required to take the GMAT exam; all other candidates are required to take the GMAT exam and score a minimum of 500. Register and submit your official GMAT scores. Register for the GMAT today!
- Complete the online application. Click HERE to begin your application.
- Submit a $40 application fee.
- Submit all official transcripts/evaluations to the Graduate School firstname.lastname@example.org
- All foreign transcripts must be evaluated course-by-course through World Education Services, Education Credential Evaluators or SpanTran.
- Submit 2 letters of recommendation from professional references, such as work supervisors, professors, employers, etc. References from family or friends are not appropriate.
- Click HERE for the required recommendation form.
- Submit a professional resume, which includes your work and education history
- Submit a personal essay.
- Include why you wish to earn your MBA, and future career goals.
- This document should be a maximum of 2 pages; typed & double-spaced.
- Schedule an admission interview with the MBA Director, Don Eskew. Please contact Jarrod Harchalk to schedule your interview.
- MBA students can start in Fall (August) or Spring (January) Semesters. All application materials must be submitted to the Graduate School two months prior to semester start.
- Tuition for the MBA Program is $650 per credit hour. The program is 12 courses, for a total of 36 credit hours.
- Total tuition cost for the 2 year MBA program is $23,400, excluding books.
- International students are required to take at least 9 credit hours per semester to meet graduation requirements and maintain F-1 status.
After you have applied to the MBA Program, contact the Office of International Admission (OIA) for assistance with your visa. Additional documentation is required to complete the admission process. OIA can be reached at +1 614-823-1356 or email@example.com.