Federal Work-Study is a federally-funded program which provides on-campus or community service employment. Once enrolled and attending classes, students arrange interviews with prospective employers and complete hiring documents.
Students may work up to 20 hours a week while classes are in session (not to be exceeded). The amount listed on the award letter is the maximum that may be earned by the student for the academic year. Students will be paid on the 10th of each month for actual hours worked during the previous month.
How to View Available Jobs
Available jobs are posted on Cardinal Careers (Students only. Follow log on instructions).
Department Paid Student Wages
Opportunities are available to students who do not qualify for the need-based Federal Work-Study program. Students will be paid on the 10th of each month for actual hours worked during the previous month.
Form I-9 Required
Completion of a Form I-9 is required within three days of campus employment. A full list of valid documents is listed on the back of the Form I-9. This form must be completed at the Office of Human Resources.
Otterbein has strong ties to the surrounding community. A number of positions allow students to assist the greater Westerville community.
Process for Students
Students that have been approved for Work-Study
1. Students are informed to look at Cardinal Careers website for employment.
2. Students should interview with the hiring supervisor.
3. If hired, the hiring packet should be given to the supervisor by the Office of Financial Services to complete with the student.
4. The student should return the completed Hiring Form and the Conditions of Employment to the Office of Human Resources.
5. Once all completed paperwork is received the student will receive a written confirmation of his/her hiring date from the Office of Human Resources.
Once you begin working, keep track of your hours and income paid to stay within your awarded federal work study / department paid student wages amount by using the Work Study Tracker spreadsheet (right click to and save the Excel file to your computer).
Process for Supervisors
Process for Supervisors to Rehire a Student Employee
1.) Fill out and submit the Rehire Document (linked) to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Please make sure student ID's are correct. Your rehire information will be reviewed by the Office of Student Financial Services. The form is also available as the link at the bottom of this Financial Aid web page under Forms and Tools.
2.) You will receive an email with the approved requests. Print out the forms.
3.) Review and sign forms with student employee.
4.) Student takes forms to Human Resources at 25 W. Home Street.
5.) Student will get Student Employment Clearance Form.
6.) Student brings you the Student Employment Clearance Form.
7.) Student may begin work.
Process for Supervisors to Hire a New Student Employee
1.) Fill out and submit the Job Posting Notice to the Office of Student Financial Services. The form is also available as the link at the bottom of this Financial Aid web page under Forms and Tools.
2.) You will receive a Job Posting Number from Human Resources once it is put onto Cardinal Careers. Keep this number!
3.) After you select who you would like to hire, submit the New Hire Data form. Please make sure student ID's are correct. The form is also available as the link at the bottom of this Financial Aid web page under Forms and Tools.
4.) You will receive an email with the approved requests. Print out the forms.
5.) Review and sign forms with student employee.
6.) Student takes forms to Human Resources at 25 W. Home Street. A STUDENT MAY NOT WORK UNTIL THE STUDENT HIRING FORM AND FORM I-9 (if needed) ARE COMPLETED AND RETURNED TO THE OFFICE of HUMAN RESOURCES.
7.) Student will get the Student Employment Clearance Form.
8.) Student may begin work.
Important Information about Student Employment:
- All new students must complete a Form I-9 form within 3 days of beginning to work, unless completed for previous employment. In order to comply, a student should bring two forms of identification and employment authorization documents to the Office of Human Resources, upon being hired. Please help us meet this strict regulation!
- The pay rates are set at different levels. The rate is set by the employer based on the job description and the student's qualifications.
- Every hiring packet contains an Authorization for Direct Deposit that is required for students to complete, which enables them to have their paychecks direct deposited to their personal checking or savings account.
- The Office of Human Resource will notify (warning) a campus employer when a student worker has worked over 20 hours in a week in that current pay period. If violation is repeated this could result in job termination.
- Inform the student that he/she is to be evaluated at the end of each academic year or employment period.
- Keep a folder for each student hire. You will need to keep the job description form in their file, their time sheet, their form that indicates first day of hire, the Conditions of Employment and Job Evaluation. Many students may use their student employer as a reference when applying for a job. Keeping a file on each student will help you to provide information to the prospective employer.
Forms and Tools