We are here so you can succeed.
Center for Student Success
Location: 172 W. Main St.
Hours: Monday – Friday (8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
The Center for Student Success is a resource center for students at Otterbein. We offer supplemental academic advising and peer advising for students dealing with academic concerns; help students make individualized academic success plans; and refer students to appropriate campus offices for help and guidance. We serve as an advocate and remove barriers to your success.
The Advising Experience
Otterbein takes pride in its faculty advising model, which allows students to make deep and meaningful connections with faculty members within their departments. The collaboration between students and their advisor is the foundation of the students’ educational and career journey.
- Students will be able to make appointments with their advisor each semester to determine the best plan for them academically.
- Faculty will be able to assist students with the mechanics of scheduling, such as using Banner, adding and dropping courses, and preparing 4 year plans.
- Students will be able to utilize other resources on campus, such as the Center for Student Success, for questions regarding changing majors, double majoring, and adding in specific minors.
- Faculty will be able to refer students to other relevant resources on campus to assist students with internships, career choices, and academic coaching and tutoring.
- Most importantly, the relationship that is forged between students and advisors helps build numerous networking possibilities, career opportunities that may enhance the student’s learning experiences, and establishes a mentor within their chosen fields of study.
Academic Hearing Board
Academic Hearing Board Information and Meeting Dates
The next Academic Hearing Board Meeting will be held on June 3rd, 2020: Petitions are due via email to email@example.com, by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 27th.
The AHB Summer Virtual meeting will begin at 10:00am, and students will receive virtual meeting instructions the week of the meeting.
The Center for Student Success serves as the academic home for students who are undeclared majors, as well as students who are transitioning between majors. The process of finding a major is an important step to your academic success and we will support you every step of the journey.
Decide to Be Undeclared
Many students experience anxiety when they are not sure of a college major. However, at Otterbein, our students often take pride in their intentional decision not to declare a major.
Undeclared students surround themselves with resources to learn more about who they are, what their strengths and interests are, market and job trends, and build an academic plan that leads to success.
Most undeclared students take time to explore different academic interests within their first year, while also making forward progress on their general education requirements. Students can often begin in major classes within the first year at Otterbein, which means undeclared students can really dive into an area of interest within the first year. If they find that major isn’t a good fit, they have plenty of time to try something new.
Resources to Help You Find a Major
Students who are undeclared majors at Otterbein are surrounded with resources to help them discover their major and ultimate vocational path.
The Center for Student Success serves are the departmental home for the undeclared major. The Center coordinates communication and programming for undeclared students. Additionally, the Center provides supplemental academic advising to help direct students as they transition between majors and academic programs.
The Center for Career and Professional Development provides guidance for students seeking to understand more about themselves and related career paths. Through individualized appointments, career assessments, and programs, the Center provides career advising and exploration resources. First-year students are encouraged to use the Center for early career and major planning.
Additionally, each undeclared student is assigned an academic advisor. This is a personal guide to their academic journey and success as Otterbein. Undeclared advisors receive additional training on working specifically with undeclared students.
College Credit Plus
- The Center for Student Success has a dedicated academic advisor to support all College Credit Plus/Otterbein Collegiate Institute (CCP/OCI) students. Students will work directly with our academic advisor to discuss course options and register for classes at Otterbein.
- Our CCP/OCI advisor will work with students, families, and high school guidance counselors, to understand the students goals and plans and work to create course schedules that best align with those goals.
- More information and application for College Credit Plus at Otterbein can be found through our Admission website.