Teri Walter, Professor, Health & Sport Sciences
Dr. Teri Walter has been teaching at Otterbein University for over 30 years in the areas of physical education, health education, and sport management. Considered a “generalist,” she has taught over 45 different courses ranging from Event Management, Sport Marketing, and Sport Facility Design, to Kinesiology and Exercise Physiology, to Techniques of Teaching Team, Individual/Dual Sports, to Golf, Self Defense, and Pickleball. During her tenure, she has also been Otterbein’s Volleyball and Softball coach, Assistant Basketball and Cross Country coach, Recreational Sports Director, and Director of the Faculty/Staff Fitness and Wellness Program. Dr. Walter currently teaches sport management courses and serves as the Sport Management Internship Coordinator. By having a broad network of professional contacts in professional sports, recreational sports, country clubs, athletic clubs, stadiums and arenas, marketing firms, law firms, colleges/universities, high schools, sport-related retail stores, race tracks/speedways, resorts, athletic associations, etc., students are able to obtain quality internships that often lead to full-time employment. Dr. Walter is also known for her expertise in event management and has been instrumental in establishing several charitable events through course requirements whereby students acquire service learning experience while raising funds (an excess of $200,000 over the past 5 years) for charitable organizations.
- Ph.D., The University of Toledo, 1994. Higher Education Administration
- M.A., Miami University (of Ohio), 1985. Biodynamics of Human Performance
- B.S., Miami University (of Ohio), 1983. Physical Education and Health Education
- Fischer, K. and Walter, T. and Matovich, J. (April 2011). Exercise Technique: Reverse Lunge into a Step-Up. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 33, (2), 92-94.
- Walter, T., Quint, A., Fischer, K, & Kiger, J. (March, 2011). Active Movement Warm-up Routines. The Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, & Dance, 82 (3), 23-31.
- Fischer, K. and Walter, T. and Matovich, J. (December 2010). A Conditioning Program for Skill Positions Using Lunge Variations. American Football Monthly, 16, (7), 10-11.
Affiliations & Awards
- Ohio Association (OAHPERD) and American Alliance for Health
- Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD)
- The North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM)
- National Intramural and Recreation Association (NIRSA)
- Ohio Parks and Recreation Association (OPRA)
- National Exercise Training Association (NETA); Certified Group Exercise Specialist