Professor & Department Chair
Dr. Constable taught in public schools for ten years before earning a Ph.D. in Literacy, Language and Cognition from The Ohio State University. Her research interests include early literacy acquisition, struggling readers, and teacher education. Her favorite part of this job is working with Otterbein students and children from the community in the Otterbein Summer Reading Clinic.
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University, 1997, Literacy, Language and Cognition
- M.S, State University of New York at Cortland , 1989, Literacy Education
- B.A., State University of New York at Cortland, 1985, French and Secondary Education
Research, Creative, & Professional Work
- Early Literacy
- Struggling Readers
- Middle Childhood Literacy
- Disciplinary Literacy
- Reading Clinic
- Teacher Education
- Constable, S. (2014). Not your grandmother’s writing lesson: Teaching concepts and conventions through digital interactive writing. In J. Jasinski Schneider, Ed., Casework in k-6 writing instruction: Connecting composing strategies, digital literacies and disciplinary content to the Common Core (pp. 57-68). NY: Peter Lang.
- Hickey, J. & Constable, S. (2014). Telling our stories: Blogging with primary English Language Learners. In J. Jasinski Schneider, Ed., Casework in k-6 writing instruction: Connecting composing strategies, digital literacies and disciplinary content to the Common Core (pp. 89-98). NY: Peter Lang.
- Constable, S.D.; Schneider, J.J. & Scheckelhoff, C.B. (2012). Apprenticeship in academic literacy: Three K-12 literacy strategies to support higher education students. Journal of Academic Language & Learning, 6(3), 70-83. ISSN 1835-5196. http://journal.aall.org.au/index.php/jall/article/viewArticle/230
- Constable, S.; Weiss, A.; Fayne, H.; Ortquist-Ahrens, L. & Ryan, P. (2008). Connections and boundaries: Exploring culturally responsive pedagogy in our own classrooms. Proceedings from the 8th International Conference on Self-Study.
Affiliations & Awards
- Member, Literacy Research Association
- Member, International Literacy Association
- Member, Kappa Delta Pi Recipient
- Martin Luther King Jr. Award for Supporting Diversity Initiatives at Otterbein