Frequently Asked Questions about Student Billing & Payment


Why did Otterbein University eliminate paper bills? Paperless bills save valuable resources and reduce administrative costs.
Students, and any authorized users designated by a student, such as parents, guardians, spouses, or sponsors, will be able to review student account activity, view billing statements and make secure payments electronically through the ePay website 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What if I need a paper bill or access to a prior bill?
You can view or print your current bill at any time from the ePay website and distribute the printed copy as you wish. You can also view up to 18 months of prior bills at any time.
A statement in ePay is always as of a certain published date. If you have had registration changes or aid changes, the statement may not reflect your current account balance. For up-to-date information and balances due, select “View Account Activity”. Your “Current Account Balance” continually updates.

How does a student log in and view the bill?
You will receive an email at your Otterbein University email account whenever a new billing statement is available. That email will contain a link to ePay, or you can log into My Ozone and access the ePay site from the My Banner menu (Student-Make Payments-Pay my Bill). Also, you can go directly to the ePay website and log in with your Otterbein ID and PIN number. If you do not know your PIN, call the Registrar’s Office at 614-823-1351.

How can I see the activity on my student account?
Log into ePay. Click on View Account Activity. Select the term you wish to view.

How can I get a copy of my billing statement?
Log into ePay. Click on the Statement tab at the top. Select the date of the billing statement you wish to view from the menu. Click Go. To print the Statement, hold down CTRL and press P at the same time.

How are parents and/or others able to view the bill?
Anyone authorized by the student will automatically receive an email when the bill is ready for viewing. The email will contain a link to the ePay login site. When a student adds you as an authorized user, you will receive two emails. The first will include your User name (email address). The second will contain a temporary password for you to use when you log in the first time.

In the Authorized Users box:

  • Enter your email address.
  • Enter your password.
  • Select your student.
  • Select Statement.
  • Select the statement you would like to view from the drop down menu and click Go.

I have a sponsor that pays my tuition. Can you just send the e-mail to them?
You may assign your sponsor as an authorized user to your ePay account for the purposes of making a payment on your behalf. Authorized users DO NOT have access to your stored payment methods, academic records, or other personal information.

How many Statements are stored and for how long?
We store a minimum of the last 18 billing statements indefinitely. You can also see student information older than 18 months by selecting “View Account Activity” and selecting the term.

My parents stopped receiving emails regarding the bill, what should I do?
Make sure the email address is correct in the ePay system. You, the student, are responsible for maintaining an up-to-date email address for any user you have authorized. Verify that the statement is not going into junk/spam. If this is the case, you can generally right click on the email and mark the email sender as “Not Junk”.

What if the person paying the bill does not have access to the Internet?
It is the student’s responsibility to provide a copy of the bill to the person paying the bill. All credit/debit card payments must be made online. Payment by check or cash can be made on Campus at the Business Office (Accounts Receivable) located at 25 W. Home Street, Suite C Monday-Friday between 8:30-4:00 pm. A check or money order can be mailed to:

Otterbein University Business Office
1 S. Grove Street
Westerville, OH 43081

How do students remove an authorized user that has been set up?
Students can remove an authorized user by selecting “Authorized Users” within your “My Profile Setup”. Next to the user you would like to delete, select “Action – Delete”.

When are fees due for each term?
Tuition due dates can be found on the academic calendar. You may deduct any financial aid that you have in process which has been awarded and accepted, from the total due. Payment plans can be set up through ePay and must be set up prior to the term’s due date.

What is “previous balance” on my Statement?
The amount that shows in your Statement as a previous balance is any amount that was billed to you on a previous billing statement that remains unpaid. The Previous Balance total is added to your Current Balance to give you the Total Amount Due on your student account.

What does “Authorized Financial Aid” mean?
This is financial aid that you have been awarded, have accepted, the processing is complete, and the aid is awaiting disbursement onto the student account. Authorized aid is deducted from the balance due on your Statement.

My financial aid award letter shows more aid than is showing in the “Authorized Financial Aid” section on my bill? What should I do?
Only financial aid that is completely processed and accepted will show on your Statement and deduct from your balance due. If some portion of your aid is not being deducted from your balance due, it is likely still in process or you have not accepted it on-line.

Contact the Financial Aid Office (614-823-1502) for more information.

Why hasn’t my “memo”/pending aid disbursed?
“Memo” aid is financial aid that is still pending completion and has not disbursed onto the student account. Either or both of the following may be required:

  • Time: if all other requirements have been met, aid cannot disburse until the first day of the term, after enrollment for the term has been confirmed.
  • Documentation: Aid cannot be disbursed until all documentation is received and verification is complete. For example, loans must be approved by the lender and entrance counseling and master promissory notes completed before a loan can be certified and disbursed.

Please note that a work study award will never appear as memo/pending aid since students are paid directly for any hours they actually work. However, a student can apply work study earnings to the student account once the payment is received.

Why doesn’t the balance on the Statement match the current account balance?
The Statement balance is based on one point in time – the date the statement was uploaded to your account. The current balance includes any charges incurred or credits paid since the Statement was generated and is updated in real-time.

Will I receive a revised Statement if a change in tuition or fees or my financial aid occurs?
No. Bills are generated once a month. With ePay, students and their authorized users will be able to access the most recent Statement as well as any activity on the student account that has occurred to date.

What happens if I don’t receive notification of the bill?
Our monthly bill and due dates are published. You are expected to monitor your ePay and My Ozone accounts for new statements regardless of whether an email is received. Payment in full is expected by the due date to avoid late charges, unless you have financial aid still in process that will cover your balance due, or you have set up a payment plan that will pay all charges for each term in full by the end of the term. You, the student, are responsible for ensuring your email mailboxes are not over quota and that spam filters are not excluding emails from,, .


Can I pay online?
Yes. Log into ePay and select Make a Payment. Your student account is updated in real-time.

What credit cards are accepted for payment?
Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.

Are there any convenience fees charged for credit card payments?
Yes, a convenience fee of 2.95% (minimum charge of $3.00) is charged to all payments made by credit card on student accounts. Read more about the Convenience Fee.

Can I pay online with a checking account?
Yes. Log into ePay and select Make a Payment, then Select Payment Method. Select Electronic Check from the drop down menu. Fill out the form with the bank routing number and your account number. You can also securely save this information for future payments that you might want to make.

Can I store my method of payment so that I don’t have to enter it every time I make a payment?
Yes, you can set up your ePay account to store your payment information. – Sign in with your Otterbein ID and PIN number. – Click My Profiles tab. – Click the Personal Profile tab and enter the required information. – Click the Payment Profile tab. – Select the payment type from the Add A Payment Method drop-down list and click Go. – Enter the account information of your preferred credit card(s) or bank account(s) – Click Continue to enter the required information.

Can I make a payment in person?
Yes, Accounts Receivable is located in the Business Office at 25 W. Home Street, Westerville, Ohio 43081. The Office is open Monday-Friday from 8:30-4:00 pm.

Accounts Receivable can accept cash, personal checks, money orders, traveler’s checks & cashier’s checks. All credit and debit card payments must be made through ePay. If you have any questions, please call 614-823-1151.

What is the address to mail a payment on my account?
Otterbein University Business Office
1 S. Grove Street
Westerville, OH 43081

Please be sure to put the student’s name and Student ID # on any checks or money orders, as well as on any correspondence. Please do not mail cash payments.

How do I put money on my Cardinal Card?
You can either come to the Business Office (Accounts Receivable) located at 25 W. Home Street, call 614-823-1151, or add funds online here.

What if I don’t know my Otterbein ID number or Pin number?
Your Cardinal Card has your Otterbein ID number printed on the front. Your ePay pin number is the same as your Banner pin. If you don’t know your pin number, call 614-823-1351.

My credit card was charged twice. What should I do?
Call the Cashier’s Office at (614) 823-1150. Please make sure you have your student ID number, the amount of the payment, the credit card number, credit card expiration date and the date the payments were made.

I made a payment on ePay, and I do not see the payment posted to my student account. What should I do?
Call Accounts Receivable at 614-823-1151. Please make sure you have your student ID number, the amount of the payment, and information pertaining to the source of your payment.

Payment Plans

I would like to pay my charges and fees in installments. How can I do that?

  • Log into ePay and click on the Payment Plans tab at the top. You will see a message about available payment plans for the term.
  • Click ENROLL NOW.
  • Select the term from the drop-down menu and click SELECT.
  • You will see the descriptions of the available payment plans. Read the descriptions carefully and select the one that applies to you and click SELECT.
  • The next screen will display all the details of the selected payment plan. Read carefully, then click CONTINUE to set up the plan, or CANCEL.
  • You will be asked to pay your down-payment and given the option to set up scheduled payments, if you choose.
  • A copy of the payment plan agreement will be displayed and you will be able to print it for your records.
  • When the set-up process is complete, you will receive a conformation on the screen, as well as an email confirming the payment plan acceptance.
  • If you are setting up the payment plan as an Authorized User, the student and the Authorized User will both receive a confirmation by email.

What payment plans are available?

  • 4-Part Payment Plan – divides the charges (Tuition, course fees, room and board, and miscellaneous charges minus awarded and accepted financial aid) for each term into 4 payments. The first payment is due at the time the plan is set-up as the down payment, then there are 4 additional payments about 1 month apart. This plan is set up for each term individually and is updated in real-time with any changes that may occur to charges and financial aid. This plan is available to all students – undergraduate or graduate.
  • Deferred Payment Plan – this plan is only available to those students (undergraduate or graduate) who have approved employer reimbursement, if the employer reimburses the student after the course is completed and grades are submitted. This plan requires a down payment of the processing fee and defers payment of the charges until after the term ends. If you qualify for this plan, please call 614-823-1134 or email

What if my tuition and charges or my financial aid award changes after I have set up a payment plan?
The payment plan automatically adjusts any remaining payments to account for any changes.

How do I know when a payment is due?
When you set up the payment plan, you will be able to view and print a schedule of your payments. You (and your Authorized User) will also receive an email reminder 5 days before payments are due.

Can I set up pre-authorized scheduled payments to my credit card or checking account?
Yes. You will be given that option in the set-up process. You (and your Authorized User) will receive an email 5 days before a scheduled payment is authorized as a reminder.

What if I sign up for a payment plan in error, and I want to cancel it?
Call the Accounts Receivable Office at 614-823-1151. We can remove you from the payment plan.

Is there a deadline to set up a payment plan for a term?
Yes, you must be on a payment plan by the due date of the term or upon enrollment thereafter. Failure to pay your balance in full or enroll into a payment plan prior to the due date could result in a dropped schedule. Due dates can be found on our Academic Calendar.

Do I have to set up the payment plan for each term individually?
Yes, each term’s payment plan must be set up separately and cannot be set up prior to billing. Each term is billed 4 weeks prior to the published due date. You cannot set up a future term payment plan until your prior term payment plan is paid in full. If your financial situation prohibits you from resolving your prior term balance before the deadline for the new term’s due date, please email for assistance.

Can I pre-pay any or all or my payments?
Yes. You can always prepay on your student account for future charges and the payment plan will apply those payments to payments on your plan.

If I cancel my payment plan and pay the balance in full, will the processing fee be refunded to me?
Only if you cancel the plan and pay your account in full by the first day of the term.

Can my parents or spouse set up a payment plan for me?
Yes. Any authorized user can set up a payment plan for you. When that happens, both you and your authorized user will receive a confirmation email.


How do I request my refund?
It is not necessary to request a refund. All student account credits are automatically refunded. It does take the Accounts Receivable Office 1-2 weeks to complete all student/parent refunds for the term. If you need your refund processed immediately, please call 614-823-1151 or email To further expedite your refund, be sure to set up your direct deposit account in ePay. Credits from a parent plus loan are processed via paper check and mailed to the borrower on file.

How can I get the overpayment on my student account?

  • Direct deposit into your checking account.
  • Refund check, mailed to your permanent address.
  • Funds transferred to your Cardinal Card.

What is the fastest way to get my refund?
Direct deposit into your checking or savings account through ePay. The funds are generally available within 72 hours of your request, Monday thru Friday.

Can I pick up my refund check in the Business Office?
Yes, you may pick up your refund check in the Business Office. You will receive an email from when the check is available. If you live on campus, your refund check will auto default to pick-up. All others would need to make a special request by emailing It is encouraged that students set up a Refund account in ePay for direct deposit.

My parents included extra money in their PLUS loan for my books and other expenses. How can the student receive the refund from the parent/borrower’s PLUS loan?
All overpayments resulting from PLUS loans must be made by check and mailed to the borrower on record.

Can my parent/borrower pick up their refund check at the Business Office?
No. The check must be mailed to the same address the borrower used when the PLUS loan application was completed.

How can I have a refund of my financial aid sent to my bank account?
Log in into your ePay account, click on the eRefund tab, and set up the bank account into which you wish your refund deposited. Request your refund from the Accounts Receivable when the credit balance (overpayment) appears on your account. Electronic refunds into your bank accounts are usually deposited within 3 business days of the refund request.

When are refunds from my financial aid available?
Financial Aid initially credits student accounts on the first day of the new term with any aid that is completely processed and awaiting disbursement. If your aid is not disbursed to your account on that date, your paperwork may be incomplete, or you may not have completed some part of the financial aid process, such as accepting your loans. Please contact the Financial Aid Office (614-823-1502 or with questions concerning your aid disbursement. Refunds from your financial aid cannot be accepted or processed from aid that is pending or from anticipated credits.

When will my requested refund be available?
Electronic refunds (eRefunds) are generally available within 3 business days of your request. eRefunds requested by noon on Monday should be in your bank account on Wednesday. Refunds requested by noon on Wednesday should be in your bank account on Friday afternoon. Refunds made by check and requested by 4:00 pm on Tuesday will be mailed on Friday.

What is the first day that refunds are available for each term?
Refunds begin processing the first and second week of the term. Parent refunds are processed and mailed the second Friday of the term. Refunds can be requested when your account has been credited with your aid and shows a credit balance (overpayment).

Can I still get a refund check?
Yes, but we strongly recommend that you consider switching to electronic direct disbursements of your refunds into your checking or savings account. Not only is it faster, but eliminates the possibility that your check could be lost or stolen. You can set up the eRefund process by logging into ePay and clicking on the eRefund tab. You will need your bank routing number and your personal bank account information for your checking or savings account.

What is the fastest way to get my refund?
Set up direct deposit of your funds into you checking or savings account through ePay. Click on the Refund tab to this up. Funds are generally available with 3 business days after the refund request is made. Mailing a refund check can take up to 10 days.