Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Are you interested in an exciting dynamic academic experience that will prepare you for a fast growing, challenging health care profession with numerous career development opportunities?
A career as a bachelors’ prepared professional registered nurse may be for you.
- Nursing is a fast growing field (faster than average for all occupations) and is expected to see a 15 percent growth in jobs from 2016-2026 (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).
- Growth will occur due to an increased emphasis on preventative care, growing rates of chronic conditions, and demand for health care services from the baby-boom population.
Why Study Nursing at Otterbein?
- We are proud of our reputation for producing quality nurses who are caring, confident and committed to their patients and their profession.
- You will learn from faculty who are not only nationally certified experts in their fields, but also committed to providing you with the personalized attention and supportive environment you need to be successful.
- Use of evidence-based teaching and active learning throughout the curriculum.
- State of the art skills laboratories include patient simulators and mobile simulation equipment that provide realism in learning to promote critical thinking and clinical skill development.
- Your clinical placements will begin with your first nursing course and continue throughout your nursing education at a variety of healthcare systems in the Columbus area including Ohio Health and Mount Carmel including a critical care clinical and pediatric clinical at Nationwide Children’s Hospital.
- Senior year immersion course where students spend their final semester 1:1 with a nurse preceptor which provides on the job training and connection to future employers.
- You will receive excellent preparation for taking the NCLEX licensure exam; currently 100% of our graduates pass on the first attempt.
- The program includes a nursing elective option to allow you to study an area of nursing interest in more depth for example-perioperative experience, end-of –life care, complementary and alternative therapies.
- There are options for participation in the honors program and National Nursing Honor Society –the Kappa Lambda Chapter is our local chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Opportunities for service learning and volunteering at the local level and beyond including study abroad options.
What can you do with a nursing degree from Otterbein?
Nursing is a career which has countless opportunities to explore and grow.
- 100% job placement rate of graduates after passing the licensure exam.
Career advancement opportunities include specialty certification, or continued advancement as a nurse practitioner, nurse mid-wife, nursing educator or nurse anesthetist.