Student Accommodations & Support

Academic/Classroom Accommodations

Disability Services will meet with students individually to discuss their needs, review accommodations and support services, and offer training on the processes and procedures of accessing accommodations. Students must request all needed accommodations in a timely manner in order to assure that they will have appropriate access to their classes and materials.

Accommodations available to Otterbein students can include:

  • Testing Accommodations (extra time, distraction-reduced space, reader/scribe, computer, etc.)
  • Note-Taking Assistance
  • Alternative Media/Accessible Course Materials
  • Assistive Technology
  • Sign Language Interpreting/Transcribing
  • Advocacy
  • Academic Coaching
  • Priority Registration

Residence Hall & Dining Accommodations

Residence hall & dining accommodation requests are facilitated by Residence Life in partnership with Disability Services via the Housing Accommodations Request Form.

Service Dogs

The ADA defines a service animal as “a dog that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability. The task(s) performed by the dog must be directly related to the person’s disability.”

The handler is responsible for maintaining control of the animal and for caring for and supervising the service animal, which includes toileting, feeding, and grooming and veterinary care. Covered entities are not obligated to supervise or otherwise care for a service animal.

Service animals are not required to be certified or registered, however university vaccination requirements are enforced for service dogs in the residence halls. Please contact Tracy Benner, the Residence Life director, at or (614) 823-1250.

Students are encouraged to register their service animal with Disability Services to assist with advocacy, classroom planning, and emergency evacuation preparedness. As animals are not generally permitted in lab or classroom settings, it is recommended that students contact Disability Services for more information at or (614) 823-1684.

For additional information, please visit the U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division Disability Rights Section website for Frequently Asked Questions about Services Animals and the ADA.

Student Veteran Services

Welcome, Veterans!

We thank you for your service and look forward to assisting you in attaining your academic goals. In order for our students to officially register with our department, they must have a qualifying condition. Such conditions may include ADHD, Anxiety, brain injuries, Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing,  Depression, physical injuries, PTSD, etc.

Services that may ease the transition to university life in the civilian world may include accessible course materials, assistance in speaking with faculty to discuss concerns relevant to a condition or military obligations, assistive technology, exam accommodations, note-taking assistance, sign language interpreting, etc.

We understand the processes and time often involved in obtaining paperwork. Please speak with Disability Services regarding any concerns surrounding documentation relevant to your condition via or (614) 823-1684.

Personal information is not shared with faculty or staff and registration with our office and information about qualifying conditions is confidential – it will not impact a VA rating or benefits.

Please feel free to visit our Military Veterans Admissions Page for more information about the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program, tuition, and benefits.

Using your resources and accommodations can help ease the college transition.

Academic Support Center and Disability Services Location and Hours

Location:  Courtright Memorial Library, Second Floor in the Back

Office Hours:  Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Phone: 614-823-1610

Fax:  614-823-1983

Academic Support Center and Disability Services Staff

Contact the Academic Support Center