Adult Admission for Veterans

Those skills are highly valued in the workplace. Combining these intangibles with a formal education gives you the competitive edge with prospective employers. As you make the transition from soldier to student, Otterbein University is your next step to achieving your personal best.

Achieving your best every day has been your life motto. You’ve accomplished it with honor and duty. Now achieve even more by continuing your education at Otterbein University. Otterbein is proud to be a participant in the national Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program to help U.S. military veterans attend college and earn a degree. Yellow-Ribbon-eligible veterans who apply and are accepted to Otterbein are able to attend tuition free.

Explore the information below to discover the outstanding programs of study Otterbein has to offer and to learn more about your veteran’s educational benefits and the many resources available to military veterans on campus.

Otterbein offers academic advising, financial aid consulting, disability counseling and job search assistance through established offices on campus. Appointments may be made through the Registrar, Student Financial Services, Academic Support & Disability Services, and Student Success & Career Development. Service members and veterans are expected to meet with appropriate academic and financial points of contact prior to enrolling: Academic Counseling: Nathan Nitczynski 614-823-1624, Financial Assistance: Luc LeMaster 614-823-1502, Center for Student Success: 614-823-1624, Registrar office: Hilary Seif 614-823-1350, Disability Services: Andrew Sydlik 614-823-1684.

Prospective students are directed to receive approval from the student’s ESO (Education Services Officer), military counselor or Services.

Otterbein will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 recipient borrow additional funds to cover the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement of a payment by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

If you have questions, please contact the admissions team, Mary Mosca or Jennifer Hicks at  614-823-1500 or by email at

Eligibility for Benefits

Otterbein is committed to making the transition to college easier and more affordable for veterans, active service members, and military education benefits-eligible dependents.

Types of Benefits

Post-9/11 GI Bill® – Chapter 33
The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) helps you pay for school or job training. If you’ve served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33).


Yellow Ribbon Program
Otterbein is a proud participant in The Yellow Ribbon Program. The Yellow Ribbon Program can help pay for higher out-of-state, private school, foreign school, or graduate school tuition and fees that the Post-9/11 GI Bill doesn’t cover if you are receiving the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) at 100%. The Office of Veteran’s Affairs will pay a portion of a veteran’s tuition and Otterbein will provide a grant to pay the remaining amount, allowing eligible veterans to attend tuition free.

In addition, eligible dependents will receive a monthly housing allowance and an annual books and supplies stipend. Service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program may also transfer unused education benefits to their spouses or children.

Reserve GI Bill – Chapter 1606
Eligibility given to any person who enlists, re-enlists or extends an enlistment in the Selective Reserve for not less than six years, in addition to any other period of obligation after June 30, 1985, and completed high school or GED, IADT, and 180 days of service in the selective reserve, and is satisfactorily participating in required training in the selective reserve.

Dependents Educational Assistance – Chapter 35
This portion of 38 U.S.C. authorizes educational benefits to dependents and survivors of certain veterans who have serious disabilities as the result of their service (100 percent disabled), who have died of a service-connected cause, who were prisoners of war or who are missing in action.

Veteran Readiness & Employment – Chapter 31
Veterans who have been declared disabled by the Department of Veterans Affairs due to service-related injury are eligible for this entitlement. For more information on Vocational Rehabilitation, contact the VA representative in your community.

For more information about these and other benefits programs or to apply, visit Department of Veterans Affairs.

Applying for Benefits

Determine your eligibility for benefits through the VA. Begin an application for benefits online at

Several forms are required to begin processing student veteran’s paperwork, including the DD214 or letter from commander certifying educational intent (current National Guard and Reserve personnel) and Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. Forms can vary depending on type of benefit being claimed. Certifying officials will clarify which forms are needed before you can begin classes at Otterbein University.

Retaining Educational Benefits

All veterans are required to notify the VA benefits certifying official of any changes listed here:

  • Dropping any class or decreasing credit hours by any means
  • Adding a class or increasing credit hours by any means
  • Deployment (National Guard or Reserve) – copy of orders required

NOTE: All veterans are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) during enrollment processing. In some situations, veterans drawing benefits through the VA may have additional eligibility for institutional assistance (e.g. scholarships and grants)

Contact Information at Otterbein University:

Our campus representatives listed below would be happy to assist and answer any questions you may have.

How to Apply

Ready to apply? Here’s what you’ll need to do, organize, and submit to apply to Otterbein:

  1. Follow the steps below to submit your Otterbein transfer admission application:
    • Open the application page
    • Create a login
    • No application fee
    • Be sure to submit all supporting documents
  2. Submit official transcripts from all post-secondary attended. Send all official transcripts directly from previously attended to Otterbein. Otterbein prefers to receive all official transcripts electronically.
    NOTETransfer students maybe asked to submit an official high school to support overall admission decisions.
  3. With the availability of the ACT and SAT scores being disrupted by COVID-19, Otterbein has adopted a test optional admission policy. Students will be able to select if they would or would not like test scores to be used in the evaluation of their admission application. Students with high school GPA of 2.75 or lower are encouraged to submit a test score if available. Students will not be disadvantaged for the submission of test scores, so, if available, we would recommend submitting official score.

Application Form Information

To apply to Otterbein as a Transfer/Adult student please submit the Otterbein transfer admission application.

Programs Of Study

Undeclared Students

Undeclared means you’re still exploring your options. Student Success & Career Development will help you stay on track with extra advising, strengths assessment and immersive experiences to help you decide what program suits you best.

Heading for the Next Level — Graduate School

For more information, contact the Otterbein Graduate School by phone at 614-823-3210, or email

Costs & Financial Aid

We believe in rewarding talent, investing in potential, and doing what it takes to keep Otterbein accessible and affordable. Most adult students are surprised to discover that private schools can be just as affordable as public schools once all the factors are taken into account, such as tuition, merit aid, scholarships and financial aid offerings.

Scholarships for Adult Transfer Students

Transfer Scholarship

  • Presidential Scholarship $15,500 (valued at more than half tuition!)

    Awardees have an accumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher of college level work

  • Provost Scholarship $11,000 (valued at more than a third tuition!)

    Awardees have an accumulative GPA of 2.71-3.4 of college level work

  • Alumni Scholarship $8,000 (nearly a quarter tuition!)

    Awardees have an accumulative GPA of 2.0-2.7 of college level work

Transfer students with less than 30 earned credit hours will be considered for the same scholarships, but their complete academic history will be used (high school GPA, class rank, ACT/SAT scores and college GPA). All students are eligible to file for need-based aid by completing the FAFSA form at

Columbus State Community College Scholarship

Awarded to students who are graduating with their associate degree from Columbus State Community College with a minimum 2.75 GPA and are directly transferring to Otterbein to complete their bachelor degree. Students save on housing and meal plan costs by continuing to live at home while attending Otterbein. This scholarship is renewable as long as the student is enrolled full time and maintains a 2.75 GPA while at Otterbein.

Steps to Apply for Financial Aid

We encourage you to apply for aid, regardless of your financial situation. Please do not assume you will not qualify for assistance. Last year more than 95 percent of our students qualified for assistance.

  1. Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is the first step in the financial aid process. You can fill out and submit your application through FAFSA on the Web at Electronic filing is the fastest and easiest way to apply for financial aid. Be sure to list Otterbein University and our Title IV school code 003110.
  2. If requested, please submit any additional documentation to the Office of Financial Aid.  Once you are an admitted student and we have received your FAFSA and all required supplemental documents you will received a need-based aid package.

Special Transfer Credit Evaluation Offer

We know you’re anxious to know what coursework taken previously will transfer to Otterbein. Send us your scanned transcript and we’ll perform an unofficial pre-evaluation and let you know what will transfer, for how many credits and what the course equivalents are. The pre-evaluation only takes two to three days and no application for admission is required.

Submit a copy of your scanned or self-generated/printed transcript via email to

*Unofficial – final evaluation will be completed once official transcripts have been received

Campus Resources

Otterbein cares about the success of all of our students both in and out of the classroom. We offer services and resources to guide you through and help you get the most out of your Otterbein experience, including academic support, counseling, career planning, diversity education, and more. Learn more about these resources by contacting us at

Student Success & Career Development

SSCD is co-located with the Office of the Registrar on the lower level of Towers Hall, SSCD staff are committed to holistic academic and career advising by providing individual assistance and a variety of resources and programs to help guide students along their Otterbein journey and to their career goals. They can help you think comprehensively about your interests, skills, and values and how those translate to academic and career satisfaction and success. They can also help you make the most out of your experience at Otterbein, plan your journey within and beyond the classroom, and empower you to make informed and intentional choices to ensure your academic and professional success.

Academic Support Center

The Otterbein Academic Support Center (ASC) exists to help students develop and strengthen the skills necessary to attain their academic goals.Through collaboration with students, faculty, and staff, the ASC supports students in becoming independent lifelong learners in an accessible student-centered environment. The center facilitates the development of learning strategies and skills in partnership with peers and professionals through tutoring, academic coaching, supplemental instruction, academic courses, and other learner-focused services.

These services are available through the Academic Support Center to assist students:

Course Transfer Policies

Course Equivalency Guides

Otterbein University accepts all non-remedial credits earned at any regionally accredited institution with a grade C- or better. Otterbein also accepts credits for military coursework listed on a military transcript with ACE recommendations. Credits are evaluated by the registrar in consultation with academic departments. Credits that do not align with specific Otterbein courses will be awarded general elective credit. Actual grades are not transferred and thus are not included in the Otterbein grade point average. If academic credentials are submitted in a non-English language, a World Education Services, Inc. (WES) course-by-course evaluation might be required. Visit the WES website for details and instructions.

Select a school name below to see a list of courses which will transfer to Otterbein University from that institution. Courses which are not listed have not yet been evaluated for course credit. Equivalency guides will be updated periodically as courses are reviewed.

Once outside coursework is complete, students must send an official transcript from the institution to the Otterbein Office of the Registrar in order for credit to be applied to their degree.

Community College Agreements

To better serve students in community colleges, Otterbein has articulation agreements with the institutions listed below. These agreements guarantee admission to graduates from two-year institutions with the Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree with a 2.0 or higher GPA. Individual departments’ minimum grade requirements may vary.

  • Central Ohio Technical College, Newark, Ohio​
  • Clark State Community College, Springfield, Ohio
  • Columbus State Community College (Pathway Programs), Columbus, Ohio
  • Hocking College, Logan, Ohio
  • Marion Technical College, Marion, Ohio
  • North Central State College, Mansfield, Ohio
  • Southern State Community College, Hillsboro, Ohio
  • Zane State College, Zanesville, Ohio