The Model Community Family Award honors the outstanding work of family members in preparing and supporting Otterbein students.
Model Community Award Information
The contest for this award, presented by the Center for Student Involvement and the Office of Alumni Relations, provides students with an opportunity to recognize parents, step-parents, or guardians whose presence, endeavors, dedication, and care have contributed to his or her personal development and academic success.
Otterbein students are invited to submit an essay about a family member who has taught them a significant lesson and apply it to their experience at Otterbein. The essays should be named “From where I STAND.” Essays are judged by a committee. The subject of the winning essay receives the Model Community Family Award and the student who wrote the essay wins a prize as well.
Essays are now being accepted for the 2019 Model Community Family Award. Essays should be no more than 500 words in length and are due by September 11, 2019.
- Name the Essay “From Where I STAND”.
- Identify and illustrate a life lesson you have learned from a family member.
- Share how this lesson has contributed to your personal development and academic success and how you have used or plan to use this lesson during your time at Otterbein.
- You must be a current Otterbein University student to participate.
- Entries should be no more than 500 words in length.
Thoughtful reflection on the life lesson illustrated and the ways in which the nominee has impacted and influenced the student in a positive manner.
- Clear and concise development of points.
- Technical correctness and grammar.
Recognition and Prizes
All nominees will receive a congratulatory letter and a copy of the essay submission.
Recognition of the winning essay and the award recipient(s) will occur during Homecoming & Family Weekend.
The student who wrote the winning essay will be presented with a Gift Card and the winner(s) of the Model Community Family Award will be presented with a framed certificate. The winning student will also be highlighted in Towers Magazine.