Thank you for your interest in assistance through our Content Tutor Program. The Academic Support Center (ASC) provides peer tutoring free of charge to Otterbein students in all content areas except music (the departments provide tutors for these disciplines). You may receive up to 2 hours of tutoring per week for each course.
Students who have concerns regarding tutoring services should contact Kyle Eveleth, firstname.lastname@example.org or 614.823.1610. The Academic Support Center will provide the appropriate support.
Request a Tutor
Once students submit the request, they will be contacted via email by the appropriate tutor within 48 business hours to schedule the initial tutoring appointment. The message from the tutor will ask what the student would like to cover during tutoring sessions and offer several options for meeting dates and times.
In rare cases the ASC may be unable to find a tutor for a particular course. When this occurs, the student requesting the tutor will be notified and is encouraged to use the instructor’s office hours to review course content. In addition, students can work with an ASC staff member to explore effective study strategies and create study plans.
Purpose of a Tutoring Session
Tutors help students clarify course content and refine their academic skills through individual or small group sessions. Tutors work with students to help students become successful, independent learners. During sessions students and tutors may: review class notes, texts, or homework problems; complete practice problems or exercises; discuss course content; create study materials; or develop manageable study plans for tests, quizzes, and projects. Tutors do not correct homework problems or proof essays.
Students meet with tutors to:
- Clarify course content and ask specific questions.
- Practice applying and integrating course concepts.
- Review material by explaining course material to the tutor.
- Ensure the regular study of material by scheduling a weekly appointment.
- Fight procrastination by structuring regular study time for a course.
Students using ASC tutoring are expected to:
- Know what they want to cover. Bring pertinent texts, notes, assignments and – most of all – your questions. The more specific your purpose, the more on target a tutor can be.
- Attend all class sessions. Your notes from class are the best resource on course content and determining exactly how your instructor is prioritizing the information.
- Complete all assigned reading prior to the tutoring appointment. This will give you the necessary foundation to talk about the material with your tutor.
- Attempt the homework questions or assignment before you meet with your tutor. This will help you identify the specific areas you need help with.
- Create a plan for how you want to spend the time in your tutoring session. If you take control of the session format you will receive the assistance you want more quickly than if your tutor sets the agenda.
- Schedule your next appointment at the end of each session. Regular review is the key to understanding course information.
Arrive to appointments on time. If you need to cancel an appointment, please notify your tutor at least 24 hours in advance.
Content Tutor Qualifications
Qualifications of content tutors:
- Recommended by instructors.
- Earned an A or B in the courses they tutor.
- Possess strong content knowledge, study strategies, and communication skills.
- Hired, trained, and supervised by the Academic Support Center.
Apply Now to Become a Peer Tutor!
“I am so thankful for this service and how much it has helped me and my studies.”