Share your Otterbein story to celebrate 175 years!
What Otterbein University story will you tell? What memory would you like to capture for future generations? It can be serious or lighthearted, a heart-felt tribute or an offering with a bit of humor. The experiences of Otterbein alumni are unique, and variety is welcomed. Here are some questions that might help inspire your story:
- Did a professor or staff member have a profound impact on your life?
- Have college connections developed into lifelong relationships?
- Did you have a memorable study away experience, internship or opportunity in the community?
- Did your participation in a student organization, ensemble or athletic team impact you in a meaningful way?
- Do you credit part of your career success back to lessons learned at Otterbein University?
- Are you an Otterbein University legacy, with experiences that transcend generations of your family?
- Are you the first in your family to pursue a college education at Otterbein?
Your stories may appear beyond the publication to include the web, Towers Magazine, or social media.
You may call any of the following numbers to tell your Otterbein story. (Note: these numbers will not be active until April 19, 2021.)
- 877-582-3199 (Voicemail enabled)
Otterbein has partnered with Publishing Concepts (PCI) to gain access to its experienced, trained staff. PCI associates will listen to your stories and assemble information into a publication. To help you stay connected to Otterbein University, PCI will also verify and update contact information if you have moved or recently lost touch. Please note that Otterbein has only shared your contact information with PCI in conjunction with this project. We have NOT sold your personal information nor used it for outside marketing purposes.
There is NO cost to share your story, and we invite all alumni to participate. If interested, you will have an opportunity to reserve the publication as a hardbound book or digital collection.
PCI will contact Otterbein alumni directly through postcards, emails, and phone calls to encourage participation. Final publication will be delivered in book and digital formats in April 2022 to purchasing alumni.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I received an email/postcard/phone call from a company asking for my personal information and a story about Otterbein University. Is this a legitimate project or is it a scam?
- It’s legit! We have partnered with PCI (also known as Publishing Concepts) to produce an Oral History Publication for Otterbein University. PCI is a family owned business based in Dallas, TX that has published directories for educational institutions, fraternities, sororities, and military organizations across the nation for almost 100 years. This project allows Otterbein University to hear about your personal experiences and explain how Otterbein University has helped shape your lives.
- Does Otterbein University benefit from this at all?
- Yes, in a few different ways:
- Updated Information – allows us to effectively communicate with and engage alumni
- Legacy – preserves the history of our school
- Pride – wearing apparel shows support and love for our school
- Yes, in a few different ways:
- How do I know my information will only be used for Oral History Project purposes?
- PCI is committed to protecting your information. The names, addresses and information provided to PCI for the publication of the Oral History Project will be held confidential by PCI, except to the extent that they are utilized in, or in the preparation of, the Oral History Project and except as required by court order or law. Upon completion of the project, PCI will redact PII (Personal Identifiable information) from any and all electronic files that we have supplied or were produced by PCI in connection with the production of the Oral History Project.
- I would like to verify or update my information and share a story. How may I do this?
- If you have received a postcard or an email with a telephone number, you may call the number to speak with a dedicated representative for the Oral History Project. The representative will verify all the information we have on file for you, make any updates where needed, then ask you to share your story about your time at Otterbein University. Your story will be recorded and the sound clip provided to Otterbein University at the conclusion of the project.
- If you have received an email with an embedded link, you may go to the online site to review your information and submit a story.
- If you did not receive a postcard or email, you may call the dedicated Otterbein University update line at 877-582-3199
- May I choose what information to update with PCI?
- Yes! When you call to update your information, you can chose what information to share. You can also communicate your preferences to PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 / email@example.com.
- I updated my information but need some more time to think about what experience to share.
- You can call back at any time to share your story.
- I shared a story and the representative said I could send some photos. How do I do this?
- You will receive an email with a link to upload up to two photos (black and white or color) plus captions.
- If you have also purchased a book but do not have an email address on file, you will be sent a photo mailer to send physical photos in to be printed (note: photos will be returned if you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope).
- I’d like to add / remove info from my story.
- You will receive an email prior to publication with a link to review your transcribed story and make any edits.
- Can anyone purchase a book?
- The Otterbein University Oral History Publication is available for sale only to Otterbein University alumni.
- When will I receive my book?
- The total duration of the Oral History Project is about 12 months. Since we began the project in April 2021, the books will be distributed in April 2022.
- I ordered a book / package over the phone and would like to cancel my order. How do I do this?
- Contact PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 and they will take care of this for you.