College Credit Plus at Otterbein
College Credit Plus (CCP) is an opportunity for high-achieving central Ohio high school students interested in taking college-level courses during high school to begin building their college credits. Students may take Otterbein courses in their high school (if available) or on our conveniently located campus in Westerville, with their school district covering most of the cost for tuition and books. CCP is available year-round. Students who have exceeded the state maximum credit hours, or who wish to receive college credit only (does not impact high school GPA), may request consideration for the Otterbein Collegiate Institute (OCI). The student is responsible for the cost of OCI, at a discounted rate of $100 per credit hour. A typical Otterbein course is four credits.
Taking advantage of Otterbein’s nationally-recognized curriculum, supportive campus and convenient location, CCP allows for students to take courses for no or little cost. Textbooks are covered by the school district under the CCP program, however, students choosing OCI are responsible to purchase their own books. Check with your high school counselor or the Otterbein Admission Office for more information.
There are many reasons to enroll. Here are a few of them:
- Location close to home
- Small, friendly and easy-to-navigate campus
- Get a jump start on your college career
- Rigorous coursework
- Parking located close to the buildings where classes are held
- Treated like an Otterbein student with access to the dining hall and cafe shops, bookstore, parking pass, athletic events (free) and more.
“OCI has been a wonderful asset for Dominic. He has grown exponentially from this experience. I believe that this is outstanding and a great confidence builder, and the cost is an exceptionally good value.”
What courses are available?
Students typically take one course per semester, although, with permission, certain high-achieving students can take more than one course. See our Course Catalog for a full list of Otterbein’s course offerings.
Students have the opportunity to choose from a wide variety of 1000- and 2000-level courses offered on Otterbein’s campus, including but not limited to:
- American Experience to 1865 (HIST 1100)
- Art History (ARTH 1000)
- Calculus II (MATH 1800)
- Education (EDUC 1000)
- Reporting and News Writing (JAMC 1600)
- Multivariable Calculus (MATH 2700)
- Political Philosophy (POLS 1150)
- Psychology for Non-Majors (PSYC 1000)
- Public Speaking (COMM 1100)
- Creative Writing Across the Genres (ENGL 1160)
- Spanish (SPAN 1000)
Note: course registration may be limited by pre-requisites and other criteria.
“I had a great experience in both of the classes that I took. Being in the OCI program has made me feel so much more confident and prepared for next year when I come to Otterbein as a college student.”
How do I apply?
To be considered for this competitive opportunity, students must complete the state’s “intent to participate” form available in your high school guidance office, and submit the following information to the Office of Admission:
- Complete an Application for Admission – application fee waived – Start your application today!
- Official high school transcript (sent directly from the high school/district)
- ACT, SAT scores. Otterbein’s codes for sharing test scores are: ACT 3318; SAT 1597
- High School Information Form (PDF) from a teacher or counselor
Otterbein employs a holistic application review process that consider high school performance (GPA course selection, rigor, grade trends), standardized test scores, and activities (leadership, community service, work, athletics). Some programs have additional criteria such as minimum GPA or test scores, audition, portfolio review etc. Students will be notified of the admission decision within three to four weeks after the application deadline.
- Fall Semester: Extended to June 1; June ACT scores may still be accepted for Fall enrollment.
- Spring Semester: November 15
Need more information?
- Contact your high school guidance counselor
- Contact Otterbein University at 614-823-1500 and ask to speak with our OCI coordinator.
Watch this video to learn more about College Credit Plus at Otterbein: